The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Equines (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/)
-   -   Shoes for a mammoth jack (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/shoes-mammoth-jack-266218/)

Barrelracingllamalover 08-29-2013 10:07 AM

Shoes for a mammoth jack

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get shoes for a mammoth jack donkey? I know they don't usually need them, but he came from a bad situation and his feet are in pretty bad shape and are going to need to be kept shod via our farriers advice, but we are not sure where to get shoes for him, so anybody know where to get them? Thanks!

smrobs 08-29-2013 10:14 AM

Any halfway decent farrier should be able to shape a normal keg shoe to fit correctly.

littrella 08-29-2013 05:45 PM

He doesn't have the correct size on hand? That's odd for a farrier, but in any case, I know my tractor supply carries horse shoes

smrobs 08-29-2013 05:53 PM

It may not be so odd, Litrella. If the jack would fit into something smaller than a 000, no farriers around here carry pony shoes unless they need them for a specific client. Not nearly enough ponies getting shod. LOL

Barrelracingllamalover 08-29-2013 06:24 PM

Yeah I live in a real small town my farrier normally carries 0,00,&1. There's not very many horses that have smaller or bigger feet than that. This jacks hooves will feet in the palm of my hand. He has super tiny feet. Smaller then my yearling qh fillys. That's why I was looking for specific shoes.

smrobs 08-29-2013 09:42 PM

Yeah, there are some stores that sell shoes designed for mules, but your farrier should be able to fit a normal keg shoe. Though if the jack's feet are that small, he may have to go to pony sizes.

Barrelracingllamalover 08-30-2013 12:45 AM

My farrier is a very good farrier. I'm not worried about that, I was just looking for mule specific shoes because of the size or his feet.

smrobs 08-30-2013 12:53 AM

The only mule shoes I've found (granted, I only checked one website, but they carry everything) run from 000 to 0, so they might not be small enough for him. You'd have to go to the manufacturer website to get the measurements.
St. Croix Forge

Barrelracingllamalover 08-30-2013 09:49 AM

Ok thanks! Ill look into em!