The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   We're Not a Good Match! (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/were-not-good-match-266266/)

dapplesandbits 08-29-2013 10:58 AM

We're Not a Good Match!

After a 1-2 year break of riding, I am back in the saddle and started lessons again! (I ride English.)

So here's my problem..

I went back to my old barn to have some beginner group lessons. My instructor put me on a barely 14 hand pony, (maybe even 13.2-13.2 hh) and I'm about 5'9". I feel too big for this mare, and she's very lazy and I don't feel as if we're a very good match. I like a bit of a challenge, and Butter (the pony) just doesn't feel like a good match for me!

I know that since I am just getting the hang of things since I haven't been riding for a while, my instructor put me on an older pony, but I feel too big for the poor old girl and we're not a good team.

What should I do? Should I talk to my instructor to see if she could put me on a different horse (we've got 40 lesson horses, not a problem) or should I just continue with Butter for a while until I advance? Advice is appreciated. Thank you!

DraftyAiresMum 08-29-2013 11:15 AM

I would talk to you instructor. Let her know that you feel too big for Butter and that, even though you are taking beginner lessons, you feel that Butter may be a bit too "beginner" for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 08-29-2013 11:45 AM

If I make an odd match its for a reason. Every horse has something to teach their riders. If there isn't a reason I would ask to switch.

faiza425 08-29-2013 04:03 PM

If it were just a matter of personality difference or her being a bit lazy, I would say keep riding Butter. You never know, horses who seem like no challenge sometimes turn out to be much different than you thought as you keep working with them! But since you feel that you are too big for her, I would talk to your instructor about it.

paintthesky 09-03-2013 09:56 PM

I would continue riding Butter, even if you feel you are too experienced for her. I bet if you handle her well, your instructor will see how amazing you ride, and in that, you're proving to her that you can accomplish her instructions without being a quitter, and gain her respect in the process.

Good luck!