The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Possibly a silly question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/possibly-silly-question-2663/)

agentspades 07-24-2007 07:35 PM

Possibly a silly question

I have been looking at some sites and see embryos offered for sale! I am fairly new to the horse owning world but this really blows my mind, how is this done?

desperate horsewife 07-24-2007 09:31 PM

The embryo is flushed from one mare and then transferred into another mare. Some mares have a hard time carrying a foal to term, so they came up with this process so that they could breed a mare then have a different mare carry the foal.

TxHorseMom 07-30-2007 03:21 AM

Desperate horsewife is correct. But, you can lose the embryo in the transferring process, or it may not implant. Then you lose your foal. Personally I wouldnt do it. But, I don't show.

sweetypie16 08-15-2007 11:37 PM

Very true, but again i wouldn't do it!!

jpost 08-16-2007 01:08 AM

They also do this with high quality mares in Friesians. If there is a special horse, they can get more babies from (not much down time from being pregnant and having a foal) her if they transplant her embryos into another broodmare. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I guess it could help improve some bloodlines but to be honest... something just doesn't sit right with me.

Frog 08-16-2007 01:35 AM

A friend of mine did this with her mare. She didn't want to postpone her training, so had the embryo transplanted into a surrogate mare. It worked really well for her and she got a fabulous foal without missing a competition on her girl.

Cost a fair bit from memory though :wink:

sweetypie16 08-20-2007 09:33 PM

:o Yeh it sure does!! The natural way is better though, wouldn't do it any other way :lol:

TxHorseMom 09-02-2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpost
They also do this with high quality mares in Friesians. If there is a special horse, they can get more babies from (not much down time from being pregnant and having a foal) her if they transplant her embryos into another broodmare. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I guess it could help improve some bloodlines but to be honest... something just doesn't sit right with me.

It is my understanding that you can only register one foal a year though, whether it is "natural" or surrogate. What would be the point of spending all that $$ for an unregistered foal?

bubba13 09-02-2007 01:15 PM

TxHorseMom--maybe for Friesians, but not for QHs. Multiple foals from a single mare are allowed to be registered each year by AQHA.

TxHorseMom 09-02-2007 03:42 PM

I just looked that up to comfirm, and you're correct. I didn't realize they changed the rules. (I only "natural" breed) That new rule opens a whole new can of worms, doesn't it?