The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Horse Show Crit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/horse-show-crit-266466/)

eeo11horse 08-29-2013 06:16 PM

Horse Show Crit
 
7 Attachment(s)
I did one of these before but these pics are really recent. They're from a show last Saturday. First I'd like to say that I'm so proud of how we did, Buddy was more focused than he's ever been at a show! 1/7 in youth western w/t, 3/6 in open western w/t, and 1/6 in best western youth rider. You can critique the horse, me, or both!

eeo11horse 08-29-2013 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In that one where he's standing...I don't know why I'm looking down, disregard that. And now one for fun because I like this picture.

cowgirllinda1952 08-30-2013 02:14 AM

Congratulations, you both look beautiful.

churumbeque 08-30-2013 03:17 PM

Lookin good

Zexious 08-30-2013 04:41 PM

Congrats on your wins!

Are you the same person who posted asking about the red vs blue shirt?

tinyliny 08-30-2013 04:50 PM

I can't tell from the photos, but it looks like you are riding without a curb chain/strap. Is that so?

you are looking down, a lot. even outside of the one standing photo, for the most part you are looking down, and your hands are so far forward and down that the whole focus of your energy, and thus the horse's, will be downward, onto his forehand.

If you can move your hands back , close to being just above or just barely in front of the horn, put a little bend in your elbow, look up and trust your hrose to move forward without you looking down to see what's going on with his head , it will achieve a better result.
the last photos is adorable! he is a lovely horse and you make a really nice pair.

Oh, and you also seem to be kind of pushed back against the cantle of the saddle. I see a lot of air in front of you. try centering yourself more in the saddle, leg more under you, less in front, eyes up, energy and thought UP and FORWARD.

Little Mare 08-30-2013 05:20 PM

I agree with tinyliny. Bring your hand back, elbow relaxed. You won't have to stretch out so much. :) Plus, you won't risk leaning in with your shoulder on your rein hand. (You don't look like you are, but it's an easy trap to fall into when your arm is farther out.)

You are sitting vertically, but I would like to see your upper body a little more confident, sitting tall. Looking up will help a lot. Your neck will extend, and your shoulders will come back just a tad.

Otherwise, you two look very nice. You have a beautiful western horse.

eeo11horse 08-30-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zexious (Post 3504313)
Congrats on your wins!

Are you the same person who posted asking about the red vs blue shirt?

Yes I am

eeo11horse 08-30-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 3504465)
I can't tell from the photos, but it looks like you are riding without a curb chain/strap. Is that so?

you are looking down, a lot. even outside of the one standing photo, for the most part you are looking down, and your hands are so far forward and down that the whole focus of your energy, and thus the horse's, will be downward, onto his forehand.

If you can move your hands back , close to being just above or just barely in front of the horn, put a little bend in your elbow, look up and trust your hrose to move forward without you looking down to see what's going on with his head , it will achieve a better result.
the last photos is adorable! he is a lovely horse and you make a really nice pair.

Oh, and you also seem to be kind of pushed back against the cantle of the saddle. I see a lot of air in front of you. try centering yourself more in the saddle, leg more under you, less in front, eyes up, energy and thought UP and FORWARD.


Thank you very much for the advice! Yeah I do often look down to see what he's doing with his head (he's not yet at the point where he keeps his head consistent all the time at shows), I really need to remember not to do that, especially at shows. Also, yes there is no chin strap on the bridle :shock:, I use the same strap on my show bridle and schooling bridle for home and I forgot to put it on! I was so mad at myself when I got there, but he did fine without it :) That reminds me, I need to buy a new chin strap...

eeo11horse 08-30-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Mare (Post 3504937)
I agree with tinyliny. Bring your hand back, elbow relaxed. You won't have to stretch out so much. :) Plus, you won't risk leaning in with your shoulder on your rein hand. (You don't look like you are, but it's an easy trap to fall into when your arm is farther out.)

You are sitting vertically, but I would like to see your upper body a little more confident, sitting tall. Looking up will help a lot. Your neck will extend, and your shoulders will come back just a tad.

Otherwise, you two look very nice. You have a beautiful western horse.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback :) At home I try to work on putting my shoulders back and sitting up a little taller. It's easy to slump a little sometimes.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0