The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Thoughts on Renew Gold Ration Balancer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/thoughts-renew-gold-ration-balancer-266850/)

SaddleStrings 08-30-2013 12:48 AM

Thoughts on Renew Gold Ration Balancer?

So i Went to my feed store today to restock my feed for my horses. Needed to pick up some more hay cubes and beet pulp for my senior gelding with metabolic issues and some Purina Enrich 12 ration balancer for my 5 yr mare. I got noticing that Purina is now fazing out Enrich 12 and 32 for a new product called Enrich plus. One of the store employees saw me comparing the labels of of the new Enrich and the old Enrich and came over to talk to me. He told me about the change Purina was making, and told me about a new product he got in called Renew Gold. He told me that it has only 5 ingredients ( Stablized rice bran, Coconut Meal, Flax seed, Yeast Culture, and Calcium Carbonate) and seems to be a good product to try and has great reviews. He even mentioned Renew Gold has a buy one, get one free deal right now and said it might be worth trying. So, I bought one bag and got another free. The employee even mention that I could probably safely feed it to my gelding with the metabolic issues.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this RB and if it is any good? I gave a small amount to my mare tonight, and she didn't seem to mind it. Thoughts and opinions?

verona1016 08-30-2013 12:59 AM

Renew Gold doesn't sound like a ration balancer to me- it's essentially a high fat supplement with some calcium added to balance out the high phosphorous ingredients. It doesn't list a whole lot of nutrients in its guaranteed analysis, and the ones it does are very low for a RB (for example, it has 28 ppm Copper, while most ration balancers are on the order of 300 ppm for Copper)

SaddleStrings 09-01-2013 12:11 AM

Hmm, I guess it kind of is a high fat supplement. I guess I should have done more research before buying this. Thanks of the info, Verona! I'll be going back to my usual RB...

crimsonsky 09-01-2013 12:24 AM

yeah certainly not a ration balancer but i find it's great as an added fat supplement - my horses are doing quite nicely on the recommended 1lb/day.