The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   trailer for young horse (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/trailer-young-horse-266929/)

ghaw 08-30-2013 04:51 AM

trailer for young horse

Hello was just wondering on peoples opions for loading a young horse. We currently have a rice eventer which only has a rear ramp. We have completely done this trailer up new floor etc.. so no its safe, however my 2 yr old cob although practising loading off loading quietly is still a little aprrehensive backing off trailer. We r now wondering if we should sell and opt for a trailer with a front off load. Just wondered what peoples thoughts and experiences are with trailer experience.

DuffyDuck 08-30-2013 05:57 AM

In Germany it is VERY rare to find a trailer that you can offload from the front. Ifors are great, but I would just practise with your horse till he feels more confident. A lot of people will be able to give you more hints and tips how to do so.

usandpets 08-30-2013 06:05 AM

Most horses don't like to back off trailers. It's normal. You could try backing your horse up and down a ditch and just keep practicing with the trailer. Also, instead of loading fully, have your horse practice with loading just on hoof before backing off, then two, and just three. It seems to help them figure that backing off isn't that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

boots 08-30-2013 07:08 AM

In my experience horses adapt to the rear load with practice.

ghaw 09-01-2013 04:47 PM

Thankyou very much for your replies, we shall continue just popping him on and off trailer it it takes another 5 - 6 or more times just loading before he's ready to have ramp up then that's what we'll do, then move onto just feeding in trailer with ramp closed a few times, and then take next step for a short drive and back to yard a few times. Thankyou again for your replies.:-):-)