The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (
-   -   The troke. (

morganshow11 04-24-2009 05:04 PM

The troke.
Has anyone ever heard of a troke? My horse Does it and it is soooo smoth. The horse canters with its front feet and trots with its back feet.

Spastic_Dove 04-24-2009 05:13 PM


CloudsMystique 04-25-2009 12:33 AM

Are you sure that's what it's called? I googled it and found nothing...

Cantering in front and trotting behind sounds like a WP lope to me.

Spastic_Dove 04-25-2009 01:40 AM

I tried googling as well and couldn't find anything. Definitly sounds like an incorrect WP lope

Spyder 04-25-2009 01:55 AM


Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 295460)
I tried googling as well and couldn't find anything. Definitly sounds like an incorrect WP lope

Either the OP is referring to a Tolt or the old (hopefull old) version of the Western pleasure lope but has shown up in the English canter where the impulsion is lost and the horse cannot maintain a true canter/lope in the rear.

NorthernMama 04-25-2009 03:10 PM

I get what I called a prot or a panter -- pace with either trot or canter and I *HATE* both. I have never felt anything smooth that is half of one gait and half of another.

morganshow11 04-26-2009 10:11 AM

I was told that it was just another name for a WP lope, so instead of calling it a WP lope i just call it a Troke.

CloudsMystique 04-26-2009 11:01 AM

I've heard it called a trope (trot+lope)... do you think you could have misheard it?

Spastic_Dove 04-26-2009 11:06 AM

I find it very uncomfortable to ride not to mention ugly.
It's generally frowned down on too since it is incorrect.

Im sad. I thought you found some magical gain :P
Only ever gaited I've ever rode was a pacer. Ouch.

morganshow11 04-26-2009 04:01 PM

CloudsMistique~ I think i did mishear it, now that i think of it, it is called a trope:)

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0