The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Ben showing baby greens (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/ben-showing-baby-greens-26709/)

1dog3cats17rodents 04-24-2009 09:01 PM

Ben showing baby greens

Please critique! This is my new 4 year old OTTB. He's not picking up his feet that well, and his tuck isn't great because of the tiny jumps, but otherwise what do you think? Please don't critique the rider, she's the professional rider

Schooling, focusing on a positive first class
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ses/th_001.jpg

Knocked a rail, didn't place
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ses/th_002.jpg

Finished 2nd out of 21
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ses/th_003.jpg

Sorry, my mom didn't videotape any flat classes, but he got 1st with the professional, and 2nd and 4th with me

Thank you!

~*~anebel~*~ 04-24-2009 09:08 PM

Well, I wouldn't be jumping him.
He is really unsteady, unbalanced, running over the fences and just not a pretty or safe picture.
He needs a lot more time just working on flatwork, getting more balanced, becoming aware of where his feet are and being able to control his gait.
As far as ability, I think he has quite a bit of potential to be a good hunter, but first thing is first he needs a solid foundation.

1dog3cats17rodents 04-25-2009 09:49 AM

By running do you mean going to fast, or I assume you mean something else.

xkatex 04-25-2009 11:31 AM

He definatly looks like a green jumper. I noticed over a few jumps he was rushing. Meaning running very quickly before the jump "rushing". I agree with the above poster that he looks unbalanced. Perhaps start working more on ground work excerises before moving on to jumping. At some points he looks confused and doesnt know where to throw his feet. Also work on your seat a bit more. You seemed rather bouncy. If you develop a better seat yourself, you will have more control of his motion. Other than that he is quite a lovely horse who seems to have the potential, just work on the basics firsts.

1dog3cats17rodents 04-25-2009 11:46 AM

Please don't critique the rider, it isn't me.

Thanks for the nice critique xkatex. I think he was a bit nervous, usually he has to be pushed to the base, not rushing. At this point not jumping isn't an option, but he is getting better at the basics everytime I ride.

saraequestrian 04-25-2009 12:52 PM

I agree with anabel. He looks rushy and unbalanced to me. I do think you should take a break from jumping and work on the flat, and then work on gymnastics, not courses.

why is not jumping not an option?

1dog3cats17rodents 04-25-2009 01:14 PM

Hard to explain, but basically even if I don't jump him, the trainer still will anyway. And I disagree with the thought that to get him better he has to stop being jumped. But I don't want to start an argument, just stating my opinion

~*~anebel~*~ 04-26-2009 12:13 AM

So basically, you're saying that teaching a child to run before it can walk is going to help it run better.
And last time I checked, it's your horse and you're paying the trainer, so why is the trainer going to jump the horse anyways?? It's your horse, your money and her reputation on the line, she should start to listen to her clients a bit better.
Not starting a fight, just stating my opinion as well.

xkatex 04-27-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 296014)
So basically, you're saying that teaching a child to run before it can walk is going to help it run better.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

If its your horse than you have control over what the trainer does with him no matter what. You are paying her, you are her client, she should be listening to you. If you tell her you dont think the horse is ready to jump she should respect your wishes. Any decent trainer should be able to see that this horse, at this point in time, isnt ready for jumping. If she cant see that, get a new trainer.
I dont mean to sound rude or abrasive, but I myself have delt with a trainer that would go off in her own little world and neglect any I said. The horse could do basic walk trot and canter (no flexion, impulsion just plain ol' gaits) yet she seemed to think he was ready to start jumping. In the end I was left with a sour horse and a sour taste in my mouth.
You are the owner it is your responsiblity to do what is best for your horse.

MIEventer 04-27-2009 08:35 PM

I think he is stunning. I LOVE Dapply Grey's - always have had such a passion for them. One day I'll own my 17hh Dapple Grey TB :) :)

Anyways, I do agree with Anebel.

I would focus allot more on Dressage. You need to put allot of flat work time on him to give this horse what he deserves and needs.

Jumping isn't the be all and end all -

Think of it as building a house. You cannot have a strong house that can withstand and sustain without a strong foundation build under it.

You have to build the foundation first, then put the rest up around that one at a time

Same with our horses. Strong foundation first - dressage - then the rest comes after.

Afterall, we want what is best for our horses - not ourselves.

Your horse truely loves to please. And he is obviously trying hard. And it is clear he can jump - so why not take a few steps back and make him even that much more better?

I would, personally, if he were my horse - pull him from the Hunter/Jumper trainer who thinks jumping is all it's about - and take him to a barn where they focus allot of flatwork/dressage.

Even find a dressage trainer?

Grand Prix level horses, know minimally - level 3 dressage. Many GP Riders spend 5/6 days a week doing dressage *or as you hunters call it..flatwork* because it is the most important factor - to making a strong, healthy, well rounded, successful mount.

I would recommend you pick up this months Practicle Horseman Magazine and read the article titled DRESSAGE FOR JUMPERS.

George Morris put on a Horsemanship Clinic and during that clinic he had his students do a full day of dressage. Very informative and a good read.

All the best to you and your beautiful horse.