The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Cantered bareback! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cantered-bareback-26712/)

Britt 04-24-2009 10:23 PM

Cantered bareback!

I can count the number of times I'm cantered/galloped my mare bareback on one hand... three. Three counting today. We did it again! It was awesome! She didn't try to buck, kick out, or anything... The only thing she did was take off at an uncontrolled gallop for a bit, but then she calmed down and cantered for me for a bit and listened.

CessBee 04-24-2009 10:31 PM

Grats!
I recently(thursday :P) taught my mare to canter bareback, she was really scared off it before but now she loves it, and yesterday we did some jumping from a canter bareback, hehe Bareback Jumping class tomorrow here we come hehe

Britt 04-24-2009 10:54 PM

Lol. I love riding bareback, but don't do it too often with my mare because she likes to 'kick up her heels' at a trot or canter... Lol.

CessBee 04-24-2009 11:03 PM

haha, before i got Cessie she had NEVER been ridden bareback, appart from a wee bit at a walk. so she is doing really well now, trotting and cantering and jumping, this winter I think ill do more bareback riding, should save on tacking up time and seeing as daylight is limited in the evenings should make things quicker.

Britt 04-25-2009 12:35 AM

Cool.

I usually have to ride with a saddle during winter because my girl gets to feeling so good that she turns into a nutcase... Lol...

I guess it's a good thing that I can have my girl caught and saddled in about five minutes when I'm in a hurry. I've had my cousin time me once because she was in a hurry... I crossed 50 acres of pasture to catch my girl and had her back at the barn, brushed off very quickly, and saddled up ready to go in 4 minutes and 52 seconds. Lol...

CessBee 04-26-2009 01:16 AM

hehe nice

lol

WE WON BAREBACK JUMPING TODAY!!!! yay was soo good

RoosterDo 04-26-2009 01:53 AM

Thats sooo fun good for you, I just cantered my girl bareback for the first time the other day and you couldnt have slapped the happy grin off my face if you wanted too.

sandy2u1 04-26-2009 02:05 AM

Gratz!!!!!!!! you all sound like great riders and that you are having a great time! I look forward to learning to ride bareback once Major becomes more safe :-)

EquineLoverForever 04-26-2009 07:24 PM

I cantered my TB bareback for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was really fun! You could say I cheated because I used a bareback pad, but he is just so darn uncomfortable!