The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   blows her mind please help!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/blows-her-mind-please-help-2673/)

kerry 07-25-2007 11:02 AM

blows her mind please help!!!!

hi my mare is 18 and was over competed before i got her i only brought her to have fun and give her the life she deserves but i would like to do local shows but if i take her in the ring on her own she looses the plot and just backs up and i cant get her to concerntrait at all or do anything at all any suggestions :wink: ?????

Flying B 07-25-2007 11:42 AM

Let her live in the ring for a few days, after she eats and sleeps in there for a faw days she will call it home.

firelight27 07-25-2007 04:21 PM

Can you go down to the ring you show in and use it when there is nothing going on there? If so, try riding her in it, just for fun, when there is no one else around. Let her loose to run and play. Ride around and dont ask anything from her, just let her relax and enjoy herself. Do this alot and then try a show again. Your first few shows, don't worry about wining,etc... just ride. Hopefully she'll learn from you to have fun too.

kerry 07-26-2007 02:19 PM

hi shes ok to ride her in there on her own but if a judge is there thats where the problem is if the judge is in the ring or if the judge stands up on the stairs and watches her!!!!!!!!!

D-izzle 07-26-2007 03:01 PM

ride very collected and if you don't use a crop already try one just to get her to listen and work on alot of flat..make her listen.

dallas 08-01-2007 07:43 AM

she is ring sour- take her on a trail ride and at the end of each ride take her thru the ring to the center to dismount - if its the second person that seems to trigger it - have a friend walk out and pet her and walk away - the next day have the freind in the center when you bring her in -dont try to work her in there too soon- the other person can also bring out grain etc to let her know shes ok . She might have been used for lessons and does not like the ring for that reason - walk her around it once and end it there- some horses that attack thier people while lunging have the same problem- the cure is to make them go once around and stop and end it there- the horse then knows its not going to be forced or hit every time its asked to going around the ring a few times. Too many people think they can force the horse -it wont work and is probably what caused it in the first place. make it easy for the horse to enjoy the ring - once around- and end it - build up to a short session .