The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   My horse's 5 month proud flesh in the frog/canker ordeal (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/my-horses-5-month-proud-flesh-267490/)

SoCalCowgirl 08-31-2013 01:13 AM

My horse's 5 month proud flesh in the frog/canker ordeal

6 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I just wanted to show you some pictures of my horse's latest issue. About 8 or so months ago he was diagnosed with what my vet called proud flesh in the hoof, but my farrier swears it was canker, so I don't know exactly what to call it. We went through a 5 month ordeal while treating his hoof. The hardest part was keeping the hoof dry. To do this I had to result in purchasing full hoof covering boots and keep it padded. After many trial and errors my vet and I found poultus (sp) wraps and gnaws worked best. In addition to keeping his frog dry I had to treat it with betadine solution which I poured on some gnaws and wiped his frog and hoof wall with, then placed his hoof in the dry boot with the padding. I had regular vet appointments and once we were able to keep the frog dry my vet decided to cut a portion of the proud flesh off, which you can see how much it bled afterwards. She did this because it kept on growing larger and larger and felt it was dry enough to cut. The pictures below are the progress pictures and you can see how it rapidly grew within a matter of weeks. I'm sorry that I don't have any recent pictures of his hoof, but after 3 months you can't even tell he had the proud flesh/canker. I should also add my new farrier who thought it was canker thinks he would not have gotten the proud flesh if he didn't have cushings.

Bonny2145 04-28-2014 01:19 PM

Hi there I think I have the same problem. I been treating a vet diagnosed case of canker on and off for about 3 years now. Recently some one said it may be proud flesh. I was wondering how did you know it was proud flesh? Your 1st and 2nd pics are similar to what I have been dealing with. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

loosie 04-29-2014 06:17 AM

I have no experience with canker, or proud flesh of the frog, but canker will spread rather than stay in one little area & I thought canker was prone to spread more if it was messed with & takes a surgical operation to 'debride' successfully? If that's the case, then it definitely was just proud flesh if you managed to treat it with topicals. A job very well done!

Bonny2145 05-05-2014 05:30 PM

Thanks lossie, This is my first experience with canker. At first there was a smell that would make your nose hairs curl! Now I have no odor just a persistent divot/hole in the frog tissue that will not fill in/heal. I'll think we're good and a couple months he'll get sore or it will start bleeding. Presently I'm treating it as proud flesh...keeping it open and using copper sulfate as per my vet's initial treatment plan and stuffing cotton balls in the hole and bandaging everyday. Only keeping it open to make sure the copper sulfate works on the proud flesh. When I found SoCal's pictures...they look very similar to what I've been looking at for months, I thought she/he may be able to help...