The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Bedding in stalls open to corral? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/bedding-stalls-open-corral-267522/)

Paints 08-31-2013 07:31 AM

Bedding in stalls open to corral?

My pasture does not have shelter so I put my horses in the corral by the barn for the night and leave their stall doors open as the water is in the stalls. Is it recommended that in the warm summer months I use bedding in the stalls?

sachmo 08-31-2013 03:38 PM

I have run in sheds but the horses prefer the barn so I let them wander in and out and leave their stall doors open. I put a minimum of bedding down just in case they want to lay down and they do from time to time but I have soft stall.

I guess it depends on how much time they are in, what you have on the stall floor and whether or not they want to lie down.

Chevaux 08-31-2013 03:56 PM

You probably might want to put a minimum of bedding down to help absorb urine if nothing else. And, if the floor is concrete, or even wood, you may also want to consider bedding for a cushioning effect.

In my run in shed, I don't put anything down at all (dirt floor) but the horses keep it well tramped. My stalls, by the way, are dirt floor with rubber mats on top - the horses come in their stalls every day for their grain and the only time I have bedding in them is if they stay in over night.

sachmo 08-31-2013 04:04 PM

Good idea, I guess am fortunate that my horses don't pee in their stalls when they have the choice they go outside and pee. I can't take any credit for training them to do that though. They just do it.

Paints 08-31-2013 09:46 PM

My stalls are sand floor with rubber mats. The horses seem to prefer staying out in the corral, but I am not out there all night so they may go in and lay down.