The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Laminitis or something else? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/laminitis-something-else-267730/)

lauraetco 08-31-2013 03:49 PM

Laminitis or something else?

Hi there,

I noticed my mini was sore on his front feet, around a month ago. Shortly after, my ferrier came to trim everyone's hooves. When he started trimming the mini, he noticed a foul smell but couldn't see anything so he guessed that there might be some abscesses inside the hooves. He said the weather was causing more abscesses than normal in horses around here. I can't remember what that was. After the trim, which he stood fine for, we had the mini walk around. The ferrier then decided that he should be kept off grass for a couple of weeks because it could be the start of laminitis. He said the hoof walls look like they might be starting to separate.

For the most part, I kept him off grass for a few weeks but I was never fully convinced that it was laminitis. I'm no expert but it just seemed strange because the grass wasn't very long or rich right then and he had lost a ton of weight in the last year.

Anyhoo, he's been back out for a week and doesn't look sore at all...not even when he's walking on concrete. I decided to pick out his hooves today and this is what I found (front feet).
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/SAM_1620.jpg
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/SAM_1619.jpg
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/SAM_1618.jpg
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/SAM_1616.jpg
As you can guess, it smells pretty bad. My husband and I cut off all the loose dead stuff, cleaned them, and sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide.

My questions is...do you think it was ever laminitis or do you think it was just a deep fungus infection that's growing out now? He doesn't seem sore today

WhyAHorseOfCourse 08-31-2013 09:00 PM

That looks like some sort of fungus to me, especially if it smells, but I've never seen it like that before. From what I've read, you shouldn't use hydrogen peroxide on the hooves, it can harm the healthy tissue. I would suggest using something like Betadine, or an antifungal treatment specifically for hooves :)

I'm really curious what others might say about this!

Edit: the frog may be shedding, uncovering the fungus/bacteria.

Trinity3205 09-01-2013 10:43 AM

Shedding frogs. Totally normal and seasonal. Usually spring and fall or when it gets wet after a dry spell. Its a good idea to clean the frogs tho and keep nasties away.

WhyAHorseOfCourse 09-01-2013 10:48 AM

Trinity, is it usual for it to smell when the frog sheds?

NorthernMama 09-01-2013 11:50 AM

Foul smell from abcesses???? I haven't hear that one before. More likely that it is some kind of bacteria or fungus. I would keep the hooves clean and as dry as you can. Wash with sunlight soapy water, rinse, dry and treat for thrush for now.

totalfreedom 09-01-2013 02:58 PM

That white cheesy looking stuff is a type of yeast if I recall correctly. It is thrush, and eventually the black thrush will begin to show up and feed on that white yeast. That's where the smell is coming from....it's thrush.

Trinity3205 09-01-2013 06:39 PM

yep probably yeasty. But it can be normal. Lots of frogs will peel if its been wet out with a layer of thruish or yeast under them and clear up once its in contact with the ground. Scrub with Dawn dishsoap and follow up with some sort of thrush med should deal with it in a day or two. You can clip the loose shedding frog off with a pair of sharp scissors till your farrier is out to trim or just pull it off if its peeling nice and smooth.

princessfluffybritches 09-02-2013 08:53 PM

Hydrogen Peroxide oxygenates anaerobic bacteria, therefore killing it. Healthy tissue is not anaerobic. Peroxide could be drying, but I'd hope to dry out that area. I know this contradicts some others' beliefs that people have, but I guess we all learn different things.

All the old timers out here use 1/2 strength bleach for fungus, bacteria, and white line. I've used it with good results as well. Again, many people believe it's not good. But it's far better than having those disgusting things growing and smelling down there.

lauraetco 09-03-2013 06:20 PM

Thanks so much, everyone.
This must have been what was causing him to be sore.

loosie 09-03-2013 07:37 PM

Hi, basically agree with others that the frogs are shedding & looks like they may be thrushy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraetco (Post 3511994)
The ferrier then decided that he should be kept off grass for a couple of weeks because it could be the start of laminitis. He said the hoof walls look like they might be starting to separate.....
For the most part, I kept him off grass for a few weeks but I was never fully convinced that it was laminitis. I'm no expert but it just seemed strange because the grass wasn't very long or rich right then and he had lost a ton of weight in the last year.

Only having those pics to go on, can't say accurately but they do look a bit 'stretched' & could be a bit flat at the toe(altho IME minis seem to retain more sole & need it exfoliated, than do big horses). If your farrier watched him walk & he was a bit 'tender', there's another factor. And that he's a mini & kept on grass(full time?) - regardless the quality - is another factor to make laminitis a likely possibility. That the grass isn't rich(short, overgrazed can be more sugary than lush looking stuff) & he's lost a lot of weight doesn't mean at all that he can't have it.

So... all in all, given the above, I wouldn't worry about being 'fully convinced' but I'd restrict his grazing & treat him like a laminitis candidate, unless fully convinced otherwise. The farrier could balance his feet well & 'roll' the stretched looking toes too. Better safe than sorry & manage to avoid, rather than waiting to treat a bigger problem.:wink: