The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help, Weird Bumps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-weird-bumps-26777/)

Rashashea 04-25-2009 11:18 PM

Help, Weird Bumps

Help, my horse has weird bumps all over his body. They started out just a few but now he has more. They are about the size of a small marble and they feel like they are in the skin. When I palpate them they are hard but he doesn't act like it bothers him. Some of them have a scab on them but most do not. I have wormed him twice already this spring. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Varsey:-|

Jubilee Rose 04-25-2009 11:29 PM

Hmmm. Do you have a picture of it? It could be rain rot. Has he been exposed to lots of wetness/rain lately? It's too early for flies so it couldn't be an allergy to bug bites. My guess is rain rot, but I would be able to tell better with a picture.

*If it is rain rot, don't worry ... it's not anything really serious. But it does need to be treated immediately as it can spread from horse to horse. You will need to apply an anti-fungal solution to the affected area, let it soak, and try to peel off the scabs, then rinse, and dry. Don't share your brushes with others and try to keep your horse as dry as possible -- rainsheets are great.

Rashashea 04-25-2009 11:34 PM

I will try to get photos tomarrow, the only thing I found so far on the internet was cancer, gosh I hope it is not that. He has been out all winter, the guy we bought him from did not have a barn for them to get into, Not only does he have the bumps he has a place on his back that there is dry patches of skin that are rough under his hair, does that sound like rain rot also?
Thanks
Varsey

Jubilee Rose 04-25-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rashashea (Post 295959)
I will try to get photos tomarrow, the only thing I found so far on the internet was cancer, gosh I hope it is not that. He has been out all winter, the guy we bought him from did not have a barn for them to get into, Not only does he have the bumps he has a place on his back that there is dry patches of skin that are rough under his hair, does that sound like rain rot also?
Thanks
Varsey

Hmm, it could be. Rain rot does cause scabbing and hair loss.