The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Had a "breakthrough" moment today!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/had-breakthrough-moment-today-267842/)

LouieThePalomino 08-31-2013 07:45 PM

Had a "breakthrough" moment today!!

Well today we had a lot of riders booked in so I had to ride my horse [I haven't been riding him on the trails much because I wanted to get some more training and trust in him first] And today he was AMAZING. Perfect in every way, he didn't spook at any of the tarps in the woods and when we cantered he wasn't acting like he was in the Kentucky Derby and try to pass everyone. He actually put his head down and relaxed! He also side-passes now because during my lesson on Tuesday I taught him how.

The only problem we had today was that he spooked at a random tire that someone left out in a wide open space. I knew he was testing me over it because none of the other horses spooked at it. When we tried to pass it he would snort and blow and try to back away or run forward so I side-passed him over to it and walked around and past it several times and then side-passed him so that he was standing over it. I then rewarded him when he relaxed and let out his breath. I didn't have a problem after that!

But I am so proud, hes finally got all of his weight back and now is getting muscle on his hindquarters. After my lesson last Tuesday I even led my little brother around on him.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 08-31-2013 07:50 PM

Sounds like you had a GREAT day!

LouieThePalomino 08-31-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 3513386)
Sounds like you had a GREAT day!

Yes, I wasn't expecting to act so good so I was so shocked. Horses have a funny way of doing that lol.

Klassic Superstar 08-31-2013 07:56 PM

That's great!! So happy for you and your boy!! Days like today really motivate us and give us drive to keep on keepin on what we are doing huh!?
Keep up the good work!!

ADBeautysBeast 08-31-2013 08:54 PM

Congratulations!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ian McDonald 08-31-2013 09:04 PM

Good to hear! A day like that really gives a person a boost doesn't it?

There is one thing I'd like to add to your tire-spooking adventure if I may. You ARE being tested when the horse spooks, but it's not the horse that's testing you - YOU are! The horse tells the truth: he really was afraid of it. The real test is of the rider. How cool can you be when the pressure's on? Sounds like you took control of the situation and did just what he needed you to do and that is INDEED a major breakthrough!

I truly believe that once you can do that, you can do anything with a horse (in time). Well done!

LouieThePalomino 08-31-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian McDonald (Post 3513930)
Good to hear! A day like that really gives a person a boost doesn't it?

There is one thing I'd like to add to your tire-spooking adventure if I may. You ARE being tested when the horse spooks, but it's not the horse that's testing you - YOU are! The horse tells the truth: he really was afraid of it. The real test is of the rider. How cool can you be when the pressure's on? Sounds like you took control of the situation and did just what he needed you to do and that is INDEED a major breakthrough!

I truly believe that once you can do that, you can do anything with a horse (in time). Well done!

Hmm, I've never thought of it that way before! Thanks for the insight :)
I guess what he was looking for was a calm and collected leader. I guess the thing is not to let your emotions get in the way and get angry with him. Which is sometimes hard not to do!

Thank you.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 08-31-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieThePalomino (Post 3513978)
I guess what he was looking for was a calm and collected leader. I guess the thing is not to let your emotions get in the way and get angry with him.

Or to let him know if YOU are scared/nervous. The main thing is to put a "FACE" on it and lead. I tell my one boarder all the time, "If you're not leading, you're following. Do you really want to follow a yearling colt?". :-)