The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Is there anything I can do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/there-anything-i-can-do-26811/)

Seeknature 04-26-2009 09:06 PM

Is there anything I can do?

So, the stable I go to recently got a donkey. The problem is, the donkey is completely unhandleable. As far as I know, it's never had a halter on, and it kicks whenever people go into its stall. It also doesn't like most people touching it at all.

I'm not sure what the owner's motivation was when they bought the donkey, but I expect they wanted to use it for pony parties. They knew it hadn't been ridden before, but I suppose they thought it had better ground manners than it does.

It's just been sitting there for a couple weeks and pretty much everyone is afraid of it, and so I'm willing to bet the owner will try to sell it. I've spent a couple hours with it, and it lets me touch it and enjoys being scratched. I'm pretty sure no one has ever interacted with it in a particularly positive way, and it's mostly acting out of fear. I'd really like to work with it some more and see if I can get it to a point where it at least behaves itself on the ground.

This is a stable I take lessons at, and I don't know the owner too well. Do you think I should ask to work with it some more? I also only have a couple months before I have to go to college. Can I do anything meaningful with a donkey in that time? Does this sound like a terrible plan entirely?

I'd really hate for it to end up in a bad situation just because no one was willing to spend any time with it. Advice?

Walkamile 04-27-2009 08:44 PM

I have no advice with the actual training of the donkey, but if you are willing to spend time doing grooming and basic handling, good for you. Ask the owner first and have a basic plan of action to present to the owner (what you want to accomplish and how). If you get the green light, I don't think any experience is a waste of time if it is productive and helpful to the animal in question.

Good luck.