The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Phoenix Company Renew Gold (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/phoenix-company-renew-gold-268217/)

Oldhorselady 09-01-2013 12:06 PM

Phoenix Company Renew Gold

I'm wondering if anyone uses the Phoenix Company's Renew Gold? I am currently feeding my EPSM horse Purina Ultium with added Amplify, oil and Omega Horseshine to get the fat she needs. I saw the Renew Gold yesterday at the feed store and it is slightly higher in fat than the Ultium. My goal would be to eliminate the Omega Horseshine since I think my horse snubs her nose at it. I would have to feed 3 lbs of Renew Gold with the Amplify and oil. Is there anything that she would get too much of in the Renew Gold at that rate?

I'm hoping she would like it and may not take so long to eat too. They both cost the same at my feed store, but I would get a 30lb bad rather than a 50lb bag like the Ultium...but I'm willing to do it if she likes it and I can eliminate the Omega Horseshine.

deserthorsewoman 09-01-2013 01:14 PM

Suggested feeding rate is max 1.5 lbs. It has 15% fat, so less than the Omega Horseshine, Ultium I don't know, tho. So you would have to calculate a new ration. Plus, the ricebran is NOT low in sugars/ starches, so don't be fooled by that statement. They say ~10% starch.....Omega Horseshine has 4.4%NSC, so very low starch, flaxseed 3.9 starches but way higher in fat, 30% I think. So, math!! :-)

Oldhorselady 09-01-2013 01:54 PM

K....I'll stick with my current concoction. I did email the Phoenix Company...I'm curious to see what they say as far as feeding rate.

I've always had great results with the Purina Ultium with all my horses, not just the EPSM guys.

deserthorsewoman 09-01-2013 03:00 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't recall what else she gets, was it alfalfa pellets soaked? If not, something wet might help with the Omega HS. Although I haven't seen a horse refuse it....yet lol. Have you tried plain flaxseed, ground? I get 50 lb bags of that for about 30$.... CA Dairy stores have/ can order. Or other multi species feedstores.

Oldhorselady 09-01-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 3518937)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't recall what else she gets, was it alfalfa pellets soaked? If not, something wet might help with the Omega HS. Although I haven't seen a horse refuse it....yet lol. Have you tried plain flaxseed, ground? I get 50 lb bags of that for about 30$.... CA Dairy stores have/ can order. Or other multi species feedstores.

Maybe it's just the way she eats. She gets 3lbs Purina Ultium, 1lb Purina Amplify, 1/2lb Omega Horseshine and 1/2 cup oil. I've played around with the Cool Calories and the Horseshine/oil amounts and nothing really makes a difference. It just seems like she tries to widdle the granular type stuff around. It takes her forever to eat. She will try to reach for Belle's food which is only Purina Ultium....when she has gotten into it in the past, she takes big mouth fulls.....then with hers, she takes little tiny mouthfuls and plays around with it. However, this mixture has been the most manageable. So I will stick with it. The oil would keep the HS from being powdery and I've tried water....the same thing. Haven't tried plain flax seed though.

deserthorsewoman 09-01-2013 10:12 PM

Leave one out at a time, or reduce to half, to see what it is she doesn't like, and work from there.

Oldhorselady 09-04-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 3522345)
Leave one out at a time, or reduce to half, to see what it is she doesn't like, and work from there.

I've done two feedings now without the oil. Just increased the HS. One day with a little water and today without the water. I think she is eating it better now, so must be the oil!

deserthorsewoman 09-04-2013 03:10 AM

That's what I thought. I'd add it slowly again, maybe with a pinch of salt?

Oldhorselady 09-04-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 3544153)
That's what I thought. I'd add it slowly again, maybe with a pinch of salt?

It was the oil. Today I fed again with no oil or water even....just Ultium, HS and Amplify...the mixture is at 96% and she jumped right into it with big bites like she would do to Belle's food. I can try to add a little oil, but she was only getting 1/2 cup of it to begin with.

deserthorsewoman 09-05-2013 01:01 AM

There ya go....I'd up the HS to 6 oz, and maybe a sprinkle more Amplify. Should make up for the oil.