The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Online Equine Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/online-equine-education-268241/)

Little Mare 09-01-2013 12:31 PM

Online Equine Education

In an age of technology and tons of online education options, are any of you pursuing equine learning online? Through classes, or simply by reading online articles, etc? (and of course this forum!)

I am currently working on some USDF University online. I also signed up for the Coursera.org/University of Edinburgh equine nutrition course (free - there are a couple threads here mentioning it) which will be fun. I've worked with people from the University of Guelph, which offers online equine courses, and have heard good things about it.

I am doing all this just for the fun of it (not to advance my career necessarily); it is a topic I feel passionately about, after all. :lol: Are any of you involved in online courses? What do you recommend?

xxdanioo 09-01-2013 01:01 PM

I'm doing the equine diploma through guelph. Love it.

EdmontonHorseGal 09-01-2013 01:02 PM

i'm not doing any online classes or anything like that, but when i come across articles that interest me my brain turns into a sponge and i soak up as much info as i can on the topic at hand. after being out of the horse world for 12 years and then jumping back in with a 'fresh brain' so to speak, there is so much to learn!

pbeebs 09-07-2013 12:38 PM

Going to look into Guelph now! I was in nursing school, but have decided that I'm not sure if that's what I want to be doing and am in between school and jobs right now. I needed to be referred in a direction so I can look at some different options.

Joe4d 09-07-2013 04:57 PM

Im equine learning online right now, on this web sight.
If you want to learn stuff online is great.
If you are expecting some kinda credential with which to market yourself ? Id say you are barking up the wrong tree and wasting your money.

Freemare 09-07-2013 05:32 PM

I got a horse management certificate at my local college. I just finished it last spring. At the time I was going toward horses all the way. However the crash of the job market and money made things bad. So that has put things on hold. Now I am looking at other options till things get going again. So I can get my carriage and horse training going.

Zexious 09-08-2013 12:49 AM

If you are doing it just for fun, go for it. If you are looking to turn these classes into a career, there is nothing more beneficial than hands on learning when it comes to horses.

Incitatus32 09-08-2013 01:45 AM

I'm doing the equine nutrition course on coursera as well! Other than that class I'm doing personal research and writing a paper on it (though I can't get to a lab for a few more years so the practical part will have to wait. :P ) Not being in college at the time I started work on it though didn't stop me, I went and presented it to dean of Equine studies at my university to see if it had any validity.... turns out it did. haha Now I'm still pursuing it but itching to get my hands on the equipment that I need! >:-)

I can't recommend anything Equine for online studies (I only do coursera because I can't afford anything else...) but I'm taking an epigenetics class there, as well as a dog reproduction class and a virology class. Right now online courses and my personal research is the only thing keeping me semi sane as I had to put college on hold this year which just devastated me. So I've returned to being a recluse, only coming out once a day and going back to my academics and microscopes for the remainder of my waking hours. (Yes I am just that socially awkward that I have microscopes and slides/dyes in my bedroom and do use them). :)

autumnheart 09-09-2013 07:21 PM

I think an online equine program would be really neat, but I think a hands-on one would be much more beneficial. I was interested in Meredith Manor, but it wasn't something my parents thought was practical and even horse people tended to talk down about it. I think what will be most useful to me is to get as much hands on experience at the barn, and interacting with as many horse people as I can.

Western Mare 09-22-2013 08:18 AM

I would also suggest a course that includes hands-on. Depending on how much time you can dedicate, you might also look for home-study with practical weekends. If not available, then I would try and do some work/volunteering at a barn, livery yard etc. to feel more comfortable when putting knowledge into practice :-)