The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lounging a yearling?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Starryeyed 
#1 ·
Is it ok to lounge a yearling every once or twice a week, with those being very short sessions? This is just at a walk, trot, or buck/canter when he feels sassy and wild :?. I just feel like Ive read places that you shouldnt lounge young horses? This isnt hard sweaty work, just more to gain respect more than anything. I want to make sure Im not going to hurt him by lounging him. Thanks

#2 ·
Its generally discouraged for young horses because a lunge line is harder on the legs, knees. A round pen is much safer for a yearling as it doesnt stress the knees as much.

But if you do short sessions periodically I think its okay. We have some we have to lunge at shows to get them out a moving but at home its a round pen and only for a few mins

Kay

#3 ·
If you use the whole length of the line (BIG circle) and keep sessions under 10 minutes, you should be fine for 1x or 2x a week lunging. It would be better to lunge on harder ground like the pasture or other grass/dirt area instead of a sand arena. The deep footing makings lunging even more stressful on young joints.

#5 ·
Ok good, figured it was ok. He is always free longed, not on a line, so he gets to use the whole round pen. When he got gelded last month I had to longe him for 30 minutes everyday for a week, doctors orders. That seemed like a lot, but had to keep the swelling down. I have cut back a lot on his longing since then, I prefer to let him be a baby with this nice weather. He now gets worked maybe once a week at the most. And he already knows his gaits, walk, trot, canter, is that a bad thing? Hs very intelligent so I like to keep his mind moving. Any other tips for respect gaining/mind using activities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.