The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Should I use Mare Magic? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/should-i-use-mare-magic-268265/)

PaintGirl7 09-01-2013 01:55 PM

Should I use Mare Magic?

Hi everyone. My mare's been insanely moody and crazy lately. I had people suggest that we put her on Mare Magic or something like it. I don't want a complete 360 turn in her attitude though... I still want her to be the horse I know and love for her spunky-ness. I don't want to make her... Different?.... If any of you know what I mean.
She has a legit fear of clippers. My new trainer and, my dad, and I put a twitch and a stabilizer on her and she was still a complete crazy. My trainer has been training horses for 25+ years. She knows what she's doing. We got told to have our vet come out and tranquilize her while we clip. My mom (who knows nothing at all whatsoever about horses, who likes to pretend she does), thinks I should go buy a supplement type thing like Mare Magic. I don't really want to if it'll change her personality.
Please help me, guys. I need advice fast!
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintGirl7 09-01-2013 01:57 PM

By the way, that's just one of the many recent incidents that's happened that made us question wether to get some or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 09-01-2013 02:47 PM

893 Attachment(s)
try putting her on Mare Magic and if you dont like the way she it on it, stop giving it to her.

its all natural, 100% dried raspberry leaves. so its not like its all sorts of weird things in the supplement.

chances are, she will be easier to work with, less moody etc.

but the fear of the clippers...thats not due to a mood. thats because she was never properly desensitized to the clippers. extensive training from someone that is experienced and knows what they are doing could get her over that.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintGirl7 09-01-2013 02:50 PM

So Mare Magic will not help with the clipper problem?
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 09-01-2013 02:55 PM

893 Attachment(s)
No. Thats a training problem. And depending on what "other experiences" you had indicated to, those may be training problems as well.

PaintGirl7 09-01-2013 02:59 PM

They aren't any training problems. I have a trainer right now who is helping me and like I said she's been training for 25+ years. She most definitely knows what she's doing.
That's what I was trying to tell my mom... Putting her on Mare Magic won't make her clip easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 09-01-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintGirl7 (Post 3518849)
So Mare Magic will not help with the clipper problem?
Posted via Mobile Device

It might help a little bit [by helping her tone down her reactions somewhat - at least that's what it did to my mare...not all mares react the same way to MM] but you'll still have to work with her to get her comfortable with clippers.

I found that MM didn't necessarily "solve" any particular issue I was having, rather it made my mare more focused on me and amenable to learning=I had an easier time training her/solving issues because she was less PMS-y allllll the time.

PaintGirl7 09-01-2013 03:04 PM

Ah thank you Wallaby. I dont know much about MM yet so thank you very much! :)

swimminchikin 09-01-2013 03:15 PM

Mare Magic works great for my mare. It didn't change her personality at all but it did stop her flirtation around my gelding and leveled out any moodiness around that time.

My Wahl clippers came with a great dvd on desensitizing to the clippers. They start with introducing them while off from a distance and work up to rubbing the turned off clippers all over the horse. Then they graduate to a smaller quieter clippers turned on and just rubbing it all over, gradually moving up to bigger and noisier clippers.

It was a good video. As a clipping newbie I definitely recommend it.

Someone please fill me in... is sedation to trim hair a normal thing? I understand sedating for vet care, dentist visits and hoof trimming if needed, where the horse's well being could be an issue, but I'm having trouble understanding why it would be used for a haircut. Just trying to learn :)
Posted via Mobile Device

xlionesss 09-01-2013 03:22 PM

As said, you need to desensitize your mare to the clippers. MM may help her reactions tone down, but she's still not going to be wild about the clippers.

Get your trainer to work with her using the clippers, she should soon learn they aren't going to eat her.