The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Banding boots to stirrups? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/banding-boots-stirrups-268433/)

AriatChick772 09-01-2013 05:43 PM

Banding boots to stirrups?

One of my lesson students recently asked me if she could rubber band her feet into the stirrups because she saw someone at a local show do it. What are your opinions on this? Personally I've never done it and I told the 11 year old no, that she needed to learn how to keep her feet in on her own.

I've seen top barrel racers with bands on their boots, if you do it.. why? If you don't agree with it.. why? Also, what are your thoughts on children doing it?
Posted via Mobile Device

tempest 09-01-2013 05:53 PM

The only problem I can see with doing this would be in the case where someone gets thrown and then dragged behind their horse because that band never allowed the person's foot to slip out of the stirrup. There is enough of a risk that this could happen without the use items to keep your feet in the stirrups. I wouldn't advise anyone to do this, especially children who wouldn't know how or be able to release their foot from the stirrup under normal circumstances.

Zexious 09-01-2013 06:18 PM

I'm not sure if this will work with the dynamics of the western saddle, but (for something similar, albeit in the English world) my trainer tied my irons to the girth. This was many years ago, but achieved the same effect.

SEAmom 09-01-2013 06:26 PM

The only time I've ever seen someone band feet into stirrups was at a contesting show and they were little kids. Honestly, I was really mad when I saw it. These kids are buckled into the saddle and their feet banded to the stirrups on push-button horses that just did the pattern and the little kids held on for dear life. There was absolutely no control from the kids. It was ridiculous.

Anyway, enough of that rant. I would refuse to band anyone's feet into the stirrups, let alone an 11 year old who is old enough and big enough to learn how to ride correctly.

paintmesorrel 09-01-2013 06:28 PM

I personally band my boots to the stirrups, but only one smaller band per boot so if i do get thrown they snap. Many riders you do see run with them double or triple band them with large, stretchy bands. I only use them because the horses i ride have so much power and i always seem to loose my stirrups when i run. That saying, it does not mean that i always loose my stirrups i normally keep them. Its just i like to use it as a precaution when i run since my horse has a tendency to buck and i like the added "Safety" but it mostly being psychological.

MsLady 09-01-2013 06:29 PM

When I was younger and would go to barrel racing jackpots the girls younger than me (5-10 years old) would have their boots rubberbanded into the stirrups. It was usually one rubberband per foot.

I watched many moms rubberband their girls into the saddle, but I'm not going to debate their reasoning :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 09-01-2013 06:32 PM

When I did barrels I banded my feet. I used one ruberband per foot. In the event of falling off, that band will break and not hold you or get you drug. Now Idk about using anything more than one simple rubber band, that seems a little much IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

1RedHorse 09-01-2013 07:39 PM

On my push style horse I band my feet in. Im always pushing driving and elevating him so my chances of losing my stirrups are greater. I tie 2 together. ...1 over my toe 1 over my heel.

Theres no way a band I use will survive a fall and ill be drug. Hell most dont survive a few runs. But it gives me security.

Ive never let any of my students band their feet but most dont even go at a speed theyd needpto.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fort fireman 09-01-2013 08:22 PM

Never heard of that. I learned something new today. I would think time would be better served learning to keep your stirrups but what do I know.:shock:

Of course I don't run barrels either.

gssw5 09-01-2013 08:37 PM

I used to band my feet when I ran barrels my horse had a big engine and I did not want to take the chance of losing a stirrup when I was moving him over or pushing around a barrel. It was two bands connected together in a figure 8 one over the toe, one over the heel. If I had fallen off the band would have broke.

I agree that children need to learn to keep their feet in the stirrups, and really if your not balanced or your foot is not positioned right one little rubber band is not going to help you. I have never banded my kids feet, but they are on steady eddy horses with small engines, there has been no need. Anyway kids need to learn how to pick up a lost stirrup, or ride without. But if your picking your leg up to push the horse over, or reaching back to hold the back end it gives just a little more hold.