The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Cavallo Boots/Shoes (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/cavallo-boots-shoes-268489/)

Faye83 09-01-2013 08:26 PM

Cavallo Boots/Shoes

Ok So my horse needs all four shoes because he has very sensitive feet. I hate trail riding with all four so I am doing the switch to boots. I currently have two boots and cannot afford the other two until October. I was thinking I could use two boots and then shoe the other two feet but someone told me that would put his gaits off? Can I have some opinions on this? Also if I can use two boots, would it be better for boots on front and shoes on back or other way around? Thanks everyone! :)

Joe4d 09-01-2013 10:28 PM

huh ?
shoes will cost you nearly what a pair of boots will cost.
Can you get by barefoot and booting the front ? I put lots of miles on my horses front shod only.

spirit88 09-02-2013 09:32 PM

I would go with booting the fronts and leaving the hinds barefoot for now. Shoes will cost almost as muchs as a pair of boots or maybe more depending on farrier.

loosie 09-03-2013 07:47 PM

Agree with others. Also remember that while he may not feel it so much, when shod, if he has 'sensitive feet', peripheral loading, without pads or other measures, won't be protecting or supporting him on rough ground.

And yes, a pair of boots on the fronts, whether or not you shoe the hinds, will be fine, won't 'put his gait off'.

Faye83 09-03-2013 11:48 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys! I have decided he is just getting four shoes till I can get some more boots

spirit88 09-05-2013 12:22 PM

I just looked it up you can get cavallos a pair for 139.95 or 119.99 depending on what kind you get. I see you posted on how much does your farrier charge your paying more for 4 shoes them you would for a pair of boots.

If you don't have money for the boots then how are you going to pay farrier for shod all four at 160?

Faye83 09-05-2013 12:30 PM

She is only going to charge me $100 this time thank god! But I have to admit that even though I thought I decided on four shoes I am still going back and forth...cheapest boots I have found here are $156.80 and I also still have to pay for a trim so it will be $200. So no shoes are cheaper, but the original post was asking if I could use boots and shoes at the same time, not which ones cheaper.

Gaited07 09-05-2013 05:21 PM

WOW that's expensive for cavallo's! For a set of two is $120 (I believe the sports, its the middle of the road boots) at our local tack store WC Equestrian

Faye83 09-05-2013 07:06 PM

Wow I wish! I have searched websites to see if I can find them cheaper and I do, but then the shipping brings the price back up to the same or more then here. Maybe I should find someone travelling to the states and get them to bring them back for me! :)

loosie 09-07-2013 04:03 AM

No, you don't want to have the horse shod & in boots at the same time. Wouldn't be productive & would also probably wreck the boots quickly. When you're talking cost, don't forget that the boots will last your horse for many, many months - that's assuming hard wearing, while shoes only last 4-6 weeks.