The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ugh! Ulcers!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ugh-ulcers-26859/)

starlinestables 04-27-2009 06:47 PM

Ugh! Ulcers!!!!

We have determined that our OTTB that we've had for 6 months and hasn't gained enough weight mostly likely has low grade uclers. He has gained weight but not enough and he eats REALLY REALLY slow. No noticable colic though...

I can't believe GastroGaurd is $1000 for a month treatment!! I know there are other options but those are semi expensive as well. Can anyone offer a more cost effective treatment?

Right now he is on pasture 24/7 and gets 12 lbs of coastal and
2lbs beet pulp, 1 lb alfalfa pellets, 1 lb oats 1 cup veg oil twice a day and 1 gm Isoxuprine for his feet.

toosleepy 04-27-2009 07:35 PM

you can get the generic and give him pills. this site has the calculator on who much he'll need for treatment. Omeprazole Direct - Horses

i've also heard people having good results with aloe vera juice, 1 cup a day. can find it at wallmart near the pharmacy

stacieandtheboys 04-27-2009 08:47 PM

Our vet put hank on a prescription cant remember what it is called now...It was $40 a month for 2 months. We then started to give him alfalfa hay. Apparently the alfalfa is more alkaline so it reduces the acidity in the stomach. At least that is what I was told. Since then we have had no more ulcers. His were so bad he exhibited like he had colic only colic treatments didnt work. Anyway that what we did :)

starlinestables 04-27-2009 09:36 PM

OMG toosleepy! these prices are WONDERFUL!!! Why doesn't everyone know about this? Is there a catch?!?!

stacieandtheboys 04-27-2009 10:09 PM

rantidine is what my vet prescribed.

toosleepy 04-28-2009 12:09 PM

no catch that i know of, someone told me about the site so i'm just passing it along to others

mls 04-28-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlinestables (Post 296979)
OMG toosleepy! these prices are WONDERFUL!!! Why doesn't everyone know about this? Is there a catch?!?!

Manufacturered in India - not regulated by the USDA.

US drug companies have guidelines and restrictions - even for animal pharmaceutical products.

Those polo horses that died were given a product not controlled to US Standards.

starlinestables 04-28-2009 01:03 PM

I see that..... BUT that was what Venezuela right? That country is a S***hole.

toosleepy 04-28-2009 04:43 PM

i agree with it being made in india, but the calculator is a wonderful tool too see how many MG you'll need for treatment vs. prevention. I know vets in the USA that will write a script and you go to wallmart and get the pills, you just have to crush more of them to get to the MG needed.

mayfieldk 04-28-2009 04:57 PM

The catch is this:

The gastroguard has a coating around the pill that protects it from the stomach and then allows it to be absorbed as the manufactuaer wants it. THIS is why it is so expensive. The generic does NOT have this coating, and stomach acid quickly destroys the pill and it does not get used as intended. So it's pretty much like throwing your money away. ;)

Here's a post I did on ulcers... treating it with meds doesn't make the problem go away--you have to change their lifestyle too!

Dressage In Jeans: EGUSSTED!

Good luck!