The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I fell off. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-fell-off-26860/)

Goosen 04-27-2009 07:26 PM

I fell off.

Okay. Long story short, I was bucked off of Jasper (16.1 draft cross) on Sunday. We were riding outside, the gate was closed and because of that he got mad. I stayed on for the first buck and fell off on the second. All I really remember is a second where I could see side of the saddle...

Damage report:

According to Jasper's owner, I landed mostly on my ribs. But I didn't feel any pain so I kind of let that go. I have a vocal cord dysfunction (it's like breathing through a straw) so really I wouldn't know if my breathing changed.

I didn't hit my head but there's actually a spot on my forehead that is slightly sore, but I'm guessing it's just from the helmet smacking my head when I landed.

Besides my ribs, I landed mostly on my shoulder. It's super sore now and I know that later after that ride it was already hard to move it much or anything. Now it's more of my shoulder being sore than my forearm like it was before, and I actually found a spot where it hurts to press on. But, there's no bruise...

On my leg there's a bruise that takes up almost all of my thigh. It's purple.

My neck is actually super sore too. It wasn't after the fall or at all yesterday, but now just running my hand lightly down the side makes me flinch. Rather than hurting on the right side, since I did fall on my right side, it's hurting on the left side but hurting more to turn to the right.

Overall, I think I'm alright. My neck and shoulder are what worry me a bit. I haven't fallen off in years, but don't get me wrong; I'm not afraid to get back on. In fact, right after that I got back on and we had a good ride after that. But considering how sore I'm feeling, I'm just a tad worried...

Sophie19 04-27-2009 07:55 PM

I had similar neck problems after a fall. I didn't go to the doctor so I don't know for sure what was wrong but it felt like whiplash. I just moved it as little as possible until it stopped hurting. It took about a week. I would give it a couple days and if you don't start seeing improvement then go to the doc. But I hate going to the doctor. So my advice is probably not to good.

close2prfct 04-27-2009 08:48 PM

It's not uncommon to not feel pain immediately following an accident, sometimes it may take a few days. For your own best interest you probably should be checked over by a doctor for broken bones, concussion etc. Although you had a helmet on it doesn't protect you completely from head trauma and you may or may not have cracked a rib or two. It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to falls or anything that involves injury to your head.

RedRoan 04-28-2009 01:05 AM

When I was eight I was leading a horse to my aunt... well she shook a can of oats and the horse decided to get hyper. The horse went into a happy bucking fit and I got the hoof in the face (side of the head really). All I remember was walking the horse then I was on the ground. My mom saw it all and said that I flew about ten feet backwards. For some reason they didn't take me to the hospital. I didn't feel a thing. Just a bit shaken by what happened. The next day I had the worst headache ever.... and now I have a crack in my skull. They should have taken me to the hospital haha.

Goosen 04-28-2009 06:36 PM

The doctor is not something I enjoy, really...I'm avoiding it at all costs.

My neck is actually slightly swollen and my parents are thinking that I need to go in for x-rays. As does my golf coach. He said anything that deals with the neck should be checked out...

I'm really just afraid that I'm just not feeling something, like cracked ribs or something, and sometime it's going to suddenly show up. I've been having on and off head aches in my right temple, but it's not like their terrible and they only last a few minutes. Nothing to worry about, I think...

close2prfct 04-28-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosen (Post 297520)
The doctor is not something I enjoy, really...I'm avoiding it at all costs.

My neck is actually slightly swollen and my parents are thinking that I need to go in for x-rays. As does my golf coach. He said anything that deals with the neck should be checked out...

I'm really just afraid that I'm just not feeling something, like cracked ribs or something, and sometime it's going to suddenly show up. I've been having on and off head aches in my right temple, but it's not like their terrible and they only last a few minutes. Nothing to worry about, I think...

Read this article and think about it....
Head injury from blunt impact killed actress, official confirms - CNN.com

Is it worth risking I mean if everything checks out ok fine but what if?

Goosen 04-28-2009 07:04 PM

I hate what if stuff...

But you do have a point..