The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Canadian Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/canadian-horses-26867/)

StarFeesh 04-27-2009 10:32 PM

Canadian Horses

Has anyone ever heard of them? A lot of people think I mean Canadian Sporthorse or a Canadian Thoroughbred, but it actually is a breed. (: I have one, Lancelot. http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...57_8167563.jpg
This picture was taken when he was five, he's eight now. Just a quick background and some statistics, I don't have time to type everything out right now, but Canadian Horses are very rare in the US. In 2004 there were only about 300 in the United States and only about one thousand in the world. Since then, great efforts have been made to bring back the breed and numbers have gone up, but I'm not sure of an exact number. The breed originated in France and was bred for King Louis XIV in the late 1600's. Many breeds make up the Canadian Horse, including the Arabian, Mustang, Spanish Barb and Andalusian. I'll post some more info later, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard of them or owned one. [:

boxer 04-27-2009 10:41 PM

I've heard of them. I have a question for you. In my breed book the photo they used for a canadian horse shows a dark brown horse with what looks to me like quite a large/long head. Do Canadian horses have large heads as a general rule?

StarFeesh 04-27-2009 10:49 PM

Oh my goodness! What is the name of your breed book? I've looked forever for one that included the Canadian Horse and can never seem to find one? Lol that excited me. [:

To answer your question, there are generally two "types" of Canadians floating around now. They are not officially classified that way, but there is a definite difference. Lancelot is the "old style" Canadian. He is short, only 15.1, and is stocky and very refined legs and head. He is very thick through the jowls but his head is very compact. He's impossibly hard to fit bridles to. The "new style" Canadians are taller and leaner, mostly 16 hands or a little taller and look a lot like light Warmbloods. They do have a longer head, but the majority do not. Most are black, but bays and chestnuts are common too. [:

wild_spot 04-27-2009 11:53 PM

Wait until CacheDawnTaxes finds this thread :]

She has a canadian called Cobalt, who i'm pretty sure everyone on this forum wants to steal. Maybe he will have a contender with your boy, looks like a stunner!

Whipple 04-28-2009 12:32 AM

Who doesn't know Cobalt? Beautiful horses! And they always seem to have great names too!

StarFeesh 04-28-2009 12:39 AM

Wow, that is so cool!! I can't wait to see pics of him! [:
One of the registry's rules about naming is that each year is assigned a letter and the horse's registered name must be in accordance to that letter. Haha random...but that made me think of it. [:

bumble 05-01-2009 01:05 AM

hahahaha, i was going to say the same thing about CacheDawnTaxes

she's going to have fun when she gets here!

boxer 05-01-2009 04:43 AM

the horse breed book I have is called The Encyclopedia of the Horse

LDblackhorse 05-01-2009 01:28 PM

I thought I would beat Colbalts owner this time:-).

I myself own a canadina stallion, his name is Figaro. He is 16.3 and 1400 pounds. He is a mix of both old stlye and new. He is thick like the old style and tall like the newer style.
However he has been mistaken as a freaisn many times.
He does classical dressage and is trained for commerials and movies.

Either way I am glad more people are asking questions about the canadian.
Thanks again for posting this thread.

Here are some photos of Figaro ( he is thicker much thicker then this. I think the camera makes him lose weight)

Jessabel 05-01-2009 03:34 PM

They're gorgeous horses. :)
How much do they generally cost?