The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   HELP! Horse really sick.... chronic diarrhea!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-horse-really-sick-chronic-diarrhea-26868/)

bchamorro 04-27-2009 09:59 PM

HELP! Horse really sick.... chronic diarrhea!!!

I need help fast!!!!

My horse has had chronic diarrhea for 2 months and I don't know what to do anymore. It all started with a stomach infection. I do not know what caused it, and also the vet has no idea. He has been loosing muscle and weight fast. Not too long ago he also had infection on his tongue that was caused by a bit. It formed blood clots under his tongue and hemorrhage. He recovered from this very well for 6 months, but now this chronic diarrhea started.

He eats, but very little now.

He is a friesian and he is 7 years old

We have tried almost all types of anti biotics and even yogurt. We have taken good care of this horse and he was in perfect health before this.

I read somewhere that pepto bismol is also good for this. We started giving him Pepto yesterday.

PLEASE HELP. Need advice fast. I need to save this horse.

Countrygal892000 04-27-2009 11:29 PM

Consumption of large amounts of sand, which then accumulates in the large intestine, can produce diarrhea, weight loss, or colic. Sand is ingested when the horse or foal is kept on sandy pasture or is fed hay or grain in a sandy area (paddock, stall, or pasture). Some horses or foals preferentially eat dirt and sand if it is in their environment. A diagnosis is based on history of a sandy environment, the presence of sand in the feces, “sand sounds” on auscultation of the ventral abdomen, and (if available) abdominal radiographs that reveal the presence of sand in the large colon. Treatment involves use of a hemicellulose product (psyllium seed hull) administered via nasogastric tube or added to the grain daily. Diarrhea generally resolves within 2-3 days of initiation of treatment. Generally, 3-4 wk of treatment is necessary to remove all the sand and may need to be repeated if the horse or foal is not removed from the source of sand. Preventive psyllium treatment (daily for 1 wk each month) has been used where sand enterocolitis is common. There are several psyllium products on the market; many horses prefer the pelleted over the powdered form

EternalSun 04-27-2009 11:51 PM

There was a horse at the barn I used to work at that had to be fed generic Pepto Bismal everyday. You have to use a lot - this horse was getting a whole bottle a day, half in the morning grain and half at night. It may be cheaper to try a probiotic supplement, such as SmartDigest from SmartPak Equine. It help horse's with digestion problems.

onetoomany 04-28-2009 12:45 AM

Careful with the pepto- it contains an asprin like substance and can actually cause worse tummy aches if administered too frequently.

bchamorro 04-28-2009 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalSun (Post 297060)
There was a horse at the barn I used to work at that had to be fed generic Pepto Bismal everyday. You have to use a lot - this horse was getting a whole bottle a day, half in the morning grain and half at night. It may be cheaper to try a probiotic supplement, such as SmartDigest from SmartPak Equine. It help horse's with digestion problems.

How big is the bottle? can you find a pic online?

weefoal 04-28-2009 06:43 AM

I also would use caution using that much pepto

Has the horse been treated for ulcers? Sure sounds like ulcer problems. Being sick can cause one and so can antibiotics

If he was mine I would

1. Put him on Gastroguard
2. Put him on Biosponge for the diarhea
3. Hand walk him on grass to get his appetite going again. Not many horses will refuse grass and I have seen this save 2 horses lives that were refusing to eat.

Then I would put him on EQuine Sr complete feed to start getting his weight back up

Sending good thoughts

Peggysue 04-28-2009 07:03 AM

Back up and tell me this horse's COMPLETE diet everything he eats??

I have had great luck Probios in the paste form..

Ryle 04-28-2009 10:06 AM

Has your vet cultured the diarrhea to see if there is a bacteria that is causing the diarrhea? Has your horse's full diet been examined for nutrient balance as well as good quality ingredients? Has there been any bloodwork done?

MyBoyPuck 04-28-2009 05:03 PM

Be sure to give him electrolytes in his water to replace the lost fluids. Water alone cannot combat dehydration.

EternalSun 04-29-2009 12:56 AM

The bottle was 8 fluid ounces and was a generic. You can get them at the dollar store for a dollar a bottle, but I still think the probiotics would you give you better results.