The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Throwing head while galloping? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/throwing-head-while-galloping-268793/)

bitinsane 09-02-2013 02:00 AM

Throwing head while galloping?

I've notice that when my horse and I are galloping, he throws his head a lot. I am very light on the reins and he even does this when I gallop him tack-less so I have ruled out mouth/bit issues. Is this an issue or could he just be being spunky?

Skyseternalangel 09-02-2013 04:50 AM

So from walk to trot to canter, his head is down and relaxed.. but when you push for a gallop the head flies up?

Saddlebag 09-02-2013 09:50 AM

Often when a horse has front end soreness the head will bob downward. With hind end soreness it will commonly bot upward. Perhaps the hyper extension of the gallop is painful. The issue may be in his hips and how the muscle moves in relation to the joint. How is he at a slower canter?

bitinsane 09-02-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 3526305)
Often when a horse has front end soreness the head will bob downward. With hind end soreness it will commonly bot upward. Perhaps the hyper extension of the gallop is painful. The issue may be in his hips and how the muscle moves in relation to the joint. How is he at a slower canter?

Ah thank you for the info. I will have that checked out. Walk and trot are normal, but canter and def. gallop he seems off with his head/neck and i was concerened. your info. makes sense, I'll def. have the vet check him out :-(

KigerQueen 09-02-2013 04:25 PM

Let us know whats up with him. my mare dose this at a trot and canter/gallop but not all the time so I'm stumped.

Skyseternalangel 09-02-2013 05:08 PM

What style do you ride...western?

bitinsane 09-02-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 3530025)
What style do you ride...western?

both lol, but he will do it tack-less too and even when I'm not on him. I'm going to try to get some video for yall so you can see. I'll have to look for my camera. I just moved and I have noooo idea where it's at as of now; or I can try to find something similar online that resembles whats going on.