The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   10 year old in a C rated show... Questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/10-year-old-c-rated-show-268849/)

allieloveshorses 09-02-2013 07:50 AM

10 year old in a C rated show... Questions

Hi,
My daughter has been doing some schooling shows but her instructor asked her to come to a C rated show next week. I sort of get how it's different with the judging and the stricter attire. I had a question about hair for her though. We went to Dover yesterday to get her a new shirt and jacket. I thought to put her hair in one of those hair net bun things, but the lady said no, she has to have her hair in braids since she is 10. Is there a hard rule about hair for the girls? Also, what does young entry mean? She will only be doing walk/trot, but the next class up is called young entry with 18 inch cross rails. I'm wondering why she can't do that. Is it because "young entry" means something specific? Just wondering.

countercanter 09-07-2013 07:09 PM

It is the norm for young girls still showing in garters to wear their hair in two braids with bows at the end. It looks much better than those show bun things (ick). To give you an idea, this is how her hair should be:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8k4wv4M341rskjgn.jpg

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...21832023_n.jpg

You don't have to have bows that big but they seem to be getting bigger and pouffier every year.

As for the young entry thing, you would be better off asking your trainer or the show office.

allieloveshorses 09-08-2013 03:27 PM

Ok so I didn't spring for the $30 bows and I felt a little guilty. So right before we left, I found some white ribbon and tied little bows to the ends of her braids. Kinds of low end, but she still got a blue ribbon and looked adorable. No offense, but the giant bows look silly to me, but it seems like everyone has them. We will probably just do the small ribbons from now on until she graduates to the 13 and up class. She could have done the young entry division, but because it was a rated show, her instructor said lets just do walk/trot. Super fun stuff these horse shows!

countercanter 09-08-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allieloveshorses (Post 3582529)
Ok so I didn't spring for the $30 bows and I felt a little guilty. So right before we left, I found some white ribbon and tied little bows to the ends of her braids. Kinds of low end, but she still got a blue ribbon and looked adorable. No offense, but the giant bows look silly to me, but it seems like everyone has them. We will probably just do the small ribbons from now on until she graduates to the 13 and up class. She could have done the young entry division, but because it was a rated show, her instructor said lets just do walk/trot. Super fun stuff these horse shows!

Oh I agree, the large bows most of the time look ridiculous and distracting. I was reading an article a judge wrote one time and he said he will dock points if the bows are so big they cover the kids number. I have started making some bows and its kind of fun. They are toned down and short but still in fun colors. A fun art project to do with your daughter maybe? I just went and bought the sale ribbon at michaels and looked up a tutorial.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zexious 09-08-2013 06:24 PM

I actually think the bows are cute--when they are tastefully sized, of course.

Ellie's Bows Dover Classic Collection | Dover Saddlery <-- Adorbs.

tlkng1 09-08-2013 06:57 PM

Not sure why smaller/younger girls have to have braids. What about the kids who don't have the longer hair? We had a schooling show today at our barn and so many girls with the huge bows..to me they look ridiculous. I would much prefer a more sedate and "prim" appearance.

To me the braids and bows enhance the fact of their young age. These are young riders and deserve that respect..the cutesy look, to me, detracts from the, let's say, effort, these kids are putting out.

allieloveshorses 09-08-2013 09:18 PM

Yeah I just don't like them when they have so many loops and long tails. I may spring for some that I saw on etsy. One color, no tails. Maybe navy with white polka dots, but the big loopy ones with three ribbon colors are very distracting and childish. Just my opinion.

countercanter 09-09-2013 05:41 AM

The ones I made have a few different ribbons but small loops and short tails. I made one with champion ribbon colors (blue, red and yellow) and even found a little horse charm to see into the middle, a pink one using a pink, white, and sparkly ribbons, and one using a blue polka dot ribbon, a blue ribbon, and a sparkly ribbon. I will post pictures later.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zexious 09-09-2013 01:24 PM

It's all about fashion, haha.

JustDressageIt 09-09-2013 01:34 PM

Don't do show bows!!!!! Nooooooo!!!

(By show bows, I mean the bow clips with the hair net that sits at the nape of the neck)

*phew* ok glad I got that out. Show bows are very *very* out if style.
As a 10 year old, she should be in paddock boots and garters. She can show with her hair in two neat braids, which is the norm, or if you want, she can put her hair up under her helmet, which is what the older riders do. She will look more the part in braids and garters.
Please don't do the show bow, though. Yech!!
Posted via Mobile Device