The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Lost interest (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/lost-interest-26893/)

GypsyNymph 04-28-2009 02:11 PM

Lost interest

I recently started to lose interest in riding. I still love horses and want to learn more but I just don't have the desire to go to my lessons. Has anyone else went through a phase where you had lost interest in riding? How did you get interested in riding again?

free_sprtd 04-28-2009 02:18 PM

I have gone through those phases, sometimes I'll go for a week or so without even going to the barn. Then I remember that (in my case) I NEED TO GO because he needs exercise and it's irresponsible of me to let him get lazy. As far as lessons go, sometimes it just happens, you get in a funk, and usually you get out of it. I think what always pulled me out of it, was when I would have an awesome lesson or just a great day with my horse. Sometimes my mood just changed and I was fine. but ya, been there!

eventerdrew 04-28-2009 05:35 PM

i was competitive from the time I was six to the time I was fourteen and after my horse got hurt and needed to be rehabbed, i started losing interest. While my horse healed, I leased my other horse out to someone. After not riding for a while, I really started to miss it so I got back in the saddle (after about six months). I NEEDED that break to be able to appreciate riding again especially after riding competitively for so long. I started to compete again last year and I'm so happy I took that break...

sometimes you just need it! If you are feeling really discouraged, try taking a break for a month or so and see how that goes. after that, maybe lease your horse out to someone if you don't want to sell him. Usually you'll start to miss it and come back. For some people it's a month, some a couple of years. depends on what you want.

horseloverd2 04-29-2009 09:08 PM

The best sign is that you do not want to stop loving horses/riding. If you were really anti-riding you wouldn't even care, probably. The longest time I have lost interest is a day or two, maybe... but those were still torture. You'll be fine. :) Maybe you are getting bored. Try a new discipline for a little, that helps me when I get bored.

Jubilee Rose 04-29-2009 10:36 PM

I agree with what was said. What exactly do you do in your lessons? Can you ask to ride a different horse, maybe one that is more challenging? Or can you learn something new or different? That would probably help. But yes, I know how you feel as well. Just stick it out, it will pass... try something new. Go on a long trail ride with some friends, try a discipline that you've never done before, ride a new horse!

Hope things work out for ya!

rottenweiler 04-30-2009 07:38 AM

Umm..I agree with what everyone said. I was first going to say, why not try a different instructor. When I started with lessons again down here in florida, I had a great instructor. I was really into getting back into shape and getting back into jumping. Then my instructor moved out of state and the new one I got was horrible. She said I would never get anywhere only riding one day a week so she ignored me during our lesson. She'd tell me to do something, post a trot, ride without stirrups, whatever...then turn around and talk to someone outside the ring or something. I was so discouraged I completely dropped it. Then I had the opportunity to go on a trail ride with a friend. Rented horses, there was no 'trail guide', we just got to GO. It was sooo much fun, I was totally hooked again. So I say, try a different horse, different instructor, or just go have FUN and don't worry about learning anything. Go on a trail ride with a friend, try riding bareback in the ring..just make it fun

Tayz 05-01-2009 05:40 AM

I haven't lost interest yet, but I have been riding for only 3 months and have been wanting to ride for all my life...I hope I don't ever get bored, but it's bound to happen once in a while...

Chuckface 05-04-2009 04:23 AM

I did a abotu a year ago. It was just one particular lesson that set me off. I was really tired and felt like I was doing everything wrong.

But when I came back next week I put a whole heap of effort in and had a great time. IF you put in the effort, you'll really enjoy it, and wotn get bored or anoyyed at what you cant do or are doign wrong.

My2Geldings 05-04-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerdrew (Post 297482)
i was competitive from the time I was six to the time I was fourteen and after my horse got hurt and needed to be rehabbed, i started losing interest. While my horse healed, I leased my other horse out to someone. After not riding for a while, I really started to miss it so I got back in the saddle (after about six months). I NEEDED that break to be able to appreciate riding again especially after riding competitively for so long. I started to compete again last year and I'm so happy I took that break...

sometimes you just need it! If you are feeling really discouraged, try taking a break for a month or so and see how that goes. after that, maybe lease your horse out to someone if you don't want to sell him. Usually you'll start to miss it and come back. For some people it's a month, some a couple of years. depends on what you want.

I couldn't agree more. Take a break and see how you feel and go from there. If you did indeed lose interest then once you take that break and you still don't care much for it THEN you will know. Sometimes whe life gets busy or your mind is occpied by other things, or you feel a little down for whatever reason, it will affect how you feel about what you normally enjoy doing.
Take a breather and focus on yourself for a little bit, then look at it again.

Qtswede 05-08-2009 10:15 AM

Don't stop riding. Do some trail rides, and stop the lessons for a while, if you can. Try and have fun with it. Too many lessons without the fun can suck the life right out of riding. When I teach, for example, we take time to play games at almost every lesson. IF there are enough riders, I'll ride with the students, and call out different drills and do a faux drill team, OR, bareback ride a buck, trail rides, anything to take out the monotony of lessons.