The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barn Snacks?!?!

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  RocShrimp 
#1 ·
Hey! I was just wondering what everyone brings to the barn and when you ride for a snack. Things like water, and energy snacks, and like trail mixes and what not. I just wanted to know because I've kinda had some trouble with REALLY GOOD SNACKS to get. Like you can say the name of it. I'm really excited to see what everyone brings as snacks!

I bring WATER, WATER, AND WATER, I eat Fig Nutens, Apples, Oranges, Fresh Fruit, Cheese Sticks, and things like that. Oh, and granola bars too! :):):) Get to posting! :):):):)

~RocShrimp

#7 ·
sometimes gatorade has a tendency to make my stomach kinda sick.... other people that I know feel that way too.... i like them tho :) oh, and i like those calorie things too! :)

#8 ·
I ALWAYS have water in the freezer out there, and in the fridge... always 100 Calorie packs... chips... I actually have stuff out there for emergencies, like if a horse colics or something and I need to stay overnight. I have a microwave, drinkable soups, sandwich fixings, that sort of thing.

I always have apples and carrots for the horses, and yogurt/other fruit for me. Gatorade sometimes.

Mountain Dew for Loot - she loves that stuff.

And Dr. Pepper for me. :]

#11 ·
I always bring water. As for snack usually I take some sort of granola bar. I like bars because I don't have to touch them with my hands, since the water at our barn is stock water and safe for animals only so we can't really wash our hands. Also, apples are great because they can really quench your thirst and you can give the core to your horse. :)

#12 ·
I keep meaning to bring something with me but most times forget. Sometimes I will stop on my way out and grab a vitamin water. Lately, when we are done for the day we go over to the local fresh fruit and veggie stand, which is practically walking distance from the barn. I grab a water and a mountain dew, and sometimes a piece of fruit like a plum.

#17 ·
I always bring an extra water with me, but a few of us at the barn like to keep the mini fridge stocked. Sometimes I bring an extra carrot to snack on. But most of the time I like to take granola bars!! :] Love them! I've had granola bars for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the barn. Lol! :D

#19 ·
Since I usually have a pile of kids with me I have gotten creative about making snacks healthy. I find, after riding they love hard boiled eggs, string cheese, bananas, small bottles of orange juice (not sunny D too much sugar), grapes, cheese, turkey and crackers, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I get small packs of nuts from Costco. Usually the cashews and almonds go first. The small bags of Smartfood popcorn are healthier than chips and everyone likes it. When I bring sugar snap peas it seems everyone including stray adults eat them up. Can you tell food is a favorite subject of mine, ha ha.

#21 ·
Since I usually have a pile of kids with me I have gotten creative about making snacks healthy. I find, after riding they love hard boiled eggs, string cheese, bananas, small bottles of orange juice (not sunny D too much sugar), grapes, cheese, turkey and crackers, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I get small packs of nuts from Costco. Usually the cashews and almonds go first. The small bags of Smartfood popcorn are healthier than chips and everyone likes it. When I bring sugar snap peas it seems everyone including stray adults eat them up. Can you tell food is a favorite subject of mine, ha ha.

I am shamed :oops: I will make a better effort to bring stuff with me this week!

#22 ·
Our horses are just out in the pasture at home, but I like to pack some hard candy like Jolly Ranchers in my saddle bag. I get dry mouth a lot and they really help. Something I can eat and ride at the same time.
We take cheese, crackers, fruit and some of our special made meat (venison) sticks for long rides. They are kind of like a slim jim meat stick only not greasy gross. We sometimes take turkey or beef jerky if we have it. I love turkey jerky if its made right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.