The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   What to look for in a Barrel Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/what-look-barrel-horse-26913/)

girl_on_black_pony 04-28-2009 08:32 PM

What to look for in a Barrel Horse

Okay, I admit it. Barrel Racing stage in my life again. -sigh-.
But whatever. Right now I don't have a barrel horse, I sold my last one three years ago.

Now my goal is to qualify for the Cavalcade Rodeo, the biggest one near me, and hopefully win something. Because I'm competitive like that :)

So idk if I should post this here, but here goes.

What should I look for when choosing my barrel horse? QH is a given, though I do know some other breeds that would do well... whatever.

I know of a little paint mare that could be a possibility. Little muscling right now, but I hope with some training she might look better. No pics though.

What would you want their build to be like?

Thanks.

onetoomany 04-28-2009 08:37 PM

Generally you want a shorter/average backed horse with a nice hip and free moving shoulder. Usually any horse that is athletically built will do well to some degree in barrels. It will help to have a build that recommends itself for barrels good, correct training will get you the furthest. A horse can be built to the nines but if it doesn't know it isn't trained well you won't get anywhere. Good luck in your search!

reining girl 04-28-2009 09:29 PM

Long thin neck, good slop to the shoulder, short back, long underline, short canons and pasturns, just a pretty well balanced athletic horse. Look for a horse with speed in the bloodlines, not all barrels are though, look for a horse that is fast and can turn on a dime on that is just naturally athletic and quick.

BuckOff41570 04-28-2009 09:35 PM

Ya know, I've seen some of the ugliest, worste conformed horses puke up 1D runs on a regular basis. I think that if your looking for a barrel horse, look for a willing partner who is willing to give 110% everytime you get on.
A horse who loves to work but can tone it down when you don't need it. Rodeo horses, especially, are a rare breed. A good rodeo horse I mean.

girl_on_black_pony 04-28-2009 10:18 PM

^^ I know. Completely. x_x

Okay. So I guess I'll just have to get on and try 'em out.

Countrygal892000 04-28-2009 10:58 PM

def. a nice big rear is a key for me... strong end is nice for them to get up and push out of barrels... and like everyone else has said, well balanced... not too long... a shorter horse will do so much better... also make sure that they give you leads easily and thier gates are perfect...

BuckOff41570 04-29-2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girl_on_black_pony (Post 297701)
^^ I know. Completely. x_x

Okay. So I guess I'll just have to get on and try 'em out.

Definately. Get on and try them out. Test their mind a bit and see what comes easy to them physically.

NewHeart 04-29-2009 10:19 AM

I defiantly agree that trying them out is key. For me, yes looking for an athletic horse is very important, but I also like to feel that I have a good connection with the horse as well.

RedRoan 04-29-2009 11:08 AM

I also think the height does not matter in a barrel race. I've seen ponies and 14 hh horses totally sweep up a competition.

xkatex 04-29-2009 11:09 AM

I dont know much about barrel racing, but as with any other disicpline, look for a horse that you can actually click with. Ive seen people pay years worth of saved up money on that "perfect looking" horse only to be disappointed in the end. Of course you dont want confo issues that will become medical issues, but a small head and big ears never killed anyone. If you know people in the barrel racing circuit ask around and listen to their opinions. Or watch a few rodeos and see which blood lines, body build etc, on average, perform the best. And, as im sure you know, ALWAYS take your potential buy out for a test ride. :) Good Luck!