The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Cleaning Bits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/cleaning-bits-26951/)

free_sprtd 04-29-2009 12:17 PM

Cleaning Bits

How do you clean your bits? The one I have has what looks like rust on it, but it's newer, I think it's just crud that has built up. It's fairly hard. How do I get that stuff off if it needs something stronger than a towel? is there a special method? lol

mls 04-29-2009 12:19 PM

Plain water and a toothbrush.

Also - if you let your horse graze with the bit in, rinse the bit when you untack.

If the bit is rusty, my husband has used Never Dull and then cleaned the bit after taking care of the rust.

toosleepy 04-29-2009 12:20 PM

put them in the dish washer, does a great job

free_sprtd 04-29-2009 12:22 PM

ya I usually don't let him graze, but I tend to give cookies :) (he's still getting used to the bit) so maybe the sugar or something is causing the brown color? hmm ill take a look at it this weekend thanks!

haha really in the dishwasher? they don't rust that way? that's neat!

EternalSun 04-29-2009 01:51 PM

A bit rusting is not a bad thing, unless they say specifically "will not rust". Sweet iron bits will rust because it encourages salivation and horses like the taste. For regular bit cleaning, I use a baking soda based toothpaste and a toothbrush. It really shines up the bit and my horse loves the minty taste.

Vidaloco 04-29-2009 01:58 PM

Toothpaste is the best. I use cheap as I can get kind :lol: Makes their breath fresh and minty too :wink:

free_sprtd 04-29-2009 02:29 PM

oh never thought about toothpaste! thanks guys!

onetoomany 04-29-2009 02:32 PM

Yeah, I used to stick mine in the dishwasher to tick off my mom.

mudypony 04-29-2009 03:01 PM

I use SOS pads and they work really well. It gets all the grime and junk off and makes it nice and shiny. Just makes sure to rinse all the blue soap stuff off.

I used to use the dishwasher but I found that it didn't get all the grime off, but I've never tried the toothpaste but I think it would work well.

juju 04-29-2009 04:15 PM

I use a toothbrush and warm water. I will have to try the toothpaste next time!