The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Would this be "cruel" of me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/would-cruel-me-269666/)

Cowgirls Boots 09-03-2013 12:17 PM

Would this be "cruel" of me?

125 Attachment(s)
My gelding, whom I bought almost a year ago for $2500 was diagnosed with severe navicular in the spring. He can still be ridden but is on Cosequin, previcox, and 60 isox a day. Plus, backwards shoes.

When I first got him I pulled his shoes all winter and he was okay. he was ridden maybe once all winter and he was fine. But in the spring when I wanted to start riding more he came up lame. That's when his previous owner told me he needed his shoes. -_-

Needless to say he's pasture sound while barefoot but if I wanted to ride he needs shoes and on top of the navicular.

I recently got a lease to own which I wasn't expecting to get. My gelding with his conditions cannot do what I want riding wise so has been a pet aside from a few rides here an there.

Would it be cruel of me to pull his shoes and see how it goes? He obviously won't be ridden without them but I'm hoping to save maybe alittle bit of money if he doesn't absolutely need the shoes since he won't be ridden. Of corse, if it turns out he needs them that bad I don't mind. But if he can be pasture sound barefoot is much rather prefer that then putting $100 pairs of shoes on him every 6 weeks.

Any help would be great. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Incitatus32 09-03-2013 12:21 PM

I don't think that's cruel in the slightest. You said yourself that if he gets too bad you'll figure something out so it's not like you're going to forget about the poor guy!:lol: There's nothing wrong with seeing how things go when you try different stuff out.

shalisha 09-03-2013 12:24 PM

Yes. I think it would be cruel. He's at your mercy. I think it's pretty selfish to put your monetary and riding needs ahead of your horse's comfort and health.

Your statement ".... but if he needs it badly...." gee, it sounds like you're willing to let him suffer, as long as it's only nominally. I have a problem with pet owners who care more about their pleasure than the comfort and care of their pet.

KigerQueen 09-03-2013 12:25 PM

If he is fine without shoes and your willing to keep him happy as a lawn ornament I don't think its cruel at all :).

Cowgirls Boots 09-03-2013 12:43 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shalisha (Post 3536898)
Yes. I think it would be cruel. He's at your mercy. I think it's pretty selfish to put your monetary and riding needs ahead of your horse's comfort and health.

Your statement ".... but if he needs it badly...." gee, it sounds like you're willing to let him suffer, as long as it's only nominally. I have a problem with pet owners who care more about their pleasure than the comfort and care of their pet.

Yup! Cause I'm caring more about my money then his needs ;) if that were so, I wouldn't have saved him spent over $1000 to find out why he was lame and paid for his shoes, etc etc. you also failed to quote where i said "if he needs it badly I DONT MIND". As I said he was barefoot last winter and comfortable. Thanks for jumping to conclusions though!

Thanks for the rest of you that answered without being snobs!
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 09-03-2013 12:46 PM

If he's pasture sound while barefoot and you don't plan to ride him, it's not cruel.

Navicular is degenerative, and there's going to come a time when you're going to have to make a decision about his quality of life, regardless of whether or not he's wearing shoes.

As long as he's not in any pain while barefoot and being unridden, there's no real reason for you to keep shoes on a pasture ornament.

Cowgirls Boots 09-03-2013 12:56 PM

125 Attachment(s)
He is unsound at a trot without shoes but at a walk he's ok. I think he's always in a tad bit of pain that is usually managed by the meds he's on.

He's okay so far but I know ill have to pull the plug sooner then later. So far he's doing good but the navicular is pretty severe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 09-03-2013 12:58 PM

If his pain can be managed by meds for now, then he'll be fine. There's no reason to bankrupt yourself just because someone else thinks you're not doing enough for YOUR animal. I say if they're so concerned, maybe they can throw some money at you.

jaydee 09-03-2013 01:06 PM

I don't see any cruelty in what you're suggesting.
A lot of retired navicular horses are kept unshod with no ill effects at all
The best thing you can do it 'try it and see'
I get the impression that you're a responsible owner and if the horse looks to be not coping you'll have the shoes back on.
I am one of those people that will shoe when needed so not a barefoot fanatic but if this link works - its quite an interesting article
http://www.hoofrehab.com/navicular_story.pdf

franknbeans 09-03-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalisha (Post 3536898)

She has said he is "pasture sound" and she will not be riding him unless she puts shoes on. How is this cruel? If she were putting her monetary needs first she would be looking to rehome him. JMHO.

No-I do not think it is cruel as long as he is pasture sound.