The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (
-   -   Half-Chaps? (

amightytarzan5 04-29-2009 06:19 PM

Hey guys! I'm looking for new half chaps. I have some dark green barnstable ones that are GREAT, but they won't work for showing :) I only want to show little schooling shows that don't really have a dress code, so I can wear half-chaps.

I'm looking for some brown ones that aren't bulky. Mine are kinda bulky, but they're sturdy, so I'm going to use them as my work/mud chaps. I want something cheap-ish.

If anyone has any they are selling or that knows of any good brand, please let me know!

StormyBlues 04-29-2009 08:27 PM

I would recomend putting the investment into a pair of leather Ariat half chaps, they look GREAT for shows, and help grip alot! They also last a long time because they are leather! it is an investment worth making!:D

PoptartShop 04-29-2009 08:32 PM

I recently just got a pair of BarnStable suede half-chaps, they are really nice! :D I love them. They're velcro too; easy to get on & off. I got them at Dover Saddlery.

amightytarzan5 04-30-2009 04:15 PM

Yeah, I love my Barnstables; they're great! But they're green and I am also in between sizes so they tend to slip down. It doesn't bother me when I'm working, but it can get annoying when riding.

I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on chaps. I'm thinking under $40.

IrishRider 04-30-2009 05:07 PM

I have Elite half chaps. They were under $100, I think around $80, and they are a wonderful leather. Very nice and classy and would probably work for the show ring.

Snaffle 05-01-2009 11:41 AM

I have the Ariat Close Contact's. They look very close to field boots when you have them on.

Ariat Close Contact Half Chaps - Dover Saddlery.
I got mine for $110 down from $145 at a Greenhawk sale. I'm sure you could find them cheaper at other tack stores.
Those look good too. They even have that like loop thing at the top like field boots do.

luvs2ride1979 05-01-2009 01:00 PM

If you're going to be showing, I'd suggest black half chaps and boots. I have Arete chaps as they are the only ones that fit my BIG calves, lol. A friend has Tredstep half chaps and they are very nice too, with a lot of size combinations.

anrz 05-11-2009 08:06 PM

I have Dublin brown suede half-chaps- they were on sale at a store because Stateline Tack was leaving stores to be just online, so I got them for ~$20. I think they were originally $40 or something. There are some on the website, but they look bulkier than the ones I have.

ShannonSevenfold 08-03-2009 08:51 PM

My half chaps are nice brown suede (but they also come in black) with velcro closures and grippy-niss (haha. technical term right there) on the inside of the calf. They're Weaver brand. They are $24.99 new. I got mine on sale for $14. I love them! =)