The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Half-Chaps? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/half-chaps-26970/)

amightytarzan5 04-29-2009 07:19 PM

Half-Chaps?

Hey guys! I'm looking for new half chaps. I have some dark green barnstable ones that are GREAT, but they won't work for showing :) I only want to show little schooling shows that don't really have a dress code, so I can wear half-chaps.

I'm looking for some brown ones that aren't bulky. Mine are kinda bulky, but they're sturdy, so I'm going to use them as my work/mud chaps. I want something cheap-ish.

If anyone has any they are selling or that knows of any good brand, please let me know!

StormyBlues 04-29-2009 09:27 PM

I would recomend putting the investment into a pair of leather Ariat half chaps, they look GREAT for shows, and help grip alot! They also last a long time because they are leather! it is an investment worth making!:D

PoptartShop 04-29-2009 09:32 PM

I recently just got a pair of BarnStable suede half-chaps, they are really nice! :D I love them. They're velcro too; easy to get on & off. I got them at Dover Saddlery.

amightytarzan5 04-30-2009 05:15 PM

Yeah, I love my Barnstables; they're great! But they're green and I am also in between sizes so they tend to slip down. It doesn't bother me when I'm working, but it can get annoying when riding.

I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on chaps. I'm thinking under $40.

IrishRider 04-30-2009 06:07 PM

I have Elite half chaps. They were under $100, I think around $80, and they are a wonderful leather. Very nice and classy and would probably work for the show ring.

Snaffle 05-01-2009 12:41 PM

I have the Ariat Close Contact's. They look very close to field boots when you have them on.

Ariat Close Contact Half Chaps - Dover Saddlery.
I got mine for $110 down from $145 at a Greenhawk sale. I'm sure you could find them cheaper at other tack stores.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat-c...35112/cn/1934/
Those look good too. They even have that like loop thing at the top like field boots do.

luvs2ride1979 05-01-2009 02:00 PM

If you're going to be showing, I'd suggest black half chaps and boots. I have Arete chaps as they are the only ones that fit my BIG calves, lol. A friend has Tredstep half chaps and they are very nice too, with a lot of size combinations.

anrz 05-11-2009 09:06 PM

I have Dublin brown suede half-chaps- they were on sale at a store because Stateline Tack was leaving stores to be just online, so I got them for ~$20. I think they were originally $40 or something. There are some on the website, but they look bulkier than the ones I have.

ShannonSevenfold 08-03-2009 09:51 PM

My half chaps are nice brown suede (but they also come in black) with velcro closures and grippy-niss (haha. technical term right there) on the inside of the calf. They're Weaver brand. They are $24.99 new. I got mine on sale for $14. I love them! =)