The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What is this?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-26978/)

rider4life422 04-29-2009 09:23 PM

What is this??

2 Attachment(s)
A barn friend of mine broke her ankle a few months ago so a friend and I have been riding and taking care of her mare. This showed up about a week and a half ago and it was the size of a dime. Now it is getting bigger despite cleaning it 3-4 times a week and putting corona and swat on it. The farrier looked at it today when he did her feet and said it is probably summer sore and to keep it clean. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this? And any ideas on what to use. I was told to start washing it with iodine shampoo and coating it with that ugly purple stuff (not sure the name). Any ideas? Thanks!

toosleepy 04-29-2009 09:34 PM

Are they sure it wasn't an abcess that came out the top? has the horse been sore?

rider4life422 04-29-2009 09:52 PM

No she has been fine, I check her every day I am there. She really doesn't even make too much of a fuss when I scrub it.

reining girl 04-29-2009 10:17 PM

hmmm, i would go with tooslepy, but could it be a fungus of some kind?? or a bacteria?

arastangrider 04-29-2009 10:17 PM

The horses where I work get that useally just the ones with white socks and we use eqyss brand microtek spray it works great and was developed by nasa

ALYJOMOFO 04-29-2009 10:20 PM

when i saw the pics i totally thought abscess too... but if the horse hasn't been off at all...
im not sure i would call your vet and get their opinion

jessetjames 04-29-2009 10:59 PM

greasy heal???

jazzyrider 04-30-2009 12:16 AM

it doesnt look like greasy heel. i would say a blowout (where an abcess has made its way out through the coronet band.) sometimes there can be little no sign of an abcess until it blows out. bathing in salt water should help fix it or even a cream like white healer or potties white ointment or american equivalent :) im from australia so we prob have different products here :)

NewHeart 04-30-2009 12:43 AM

I agree with others that it looks like an abscess to me. Summer sores are related to fly larvae attaching themselves to skin abrasions which can lead to lesions. If I were you, I would call a vet out and have them take a look at it, especially if it is your friends horse.