The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   HDL's New Art Journal (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/hdls-new-art-journal-269898/)

Horsesdontlie 09-03-2013 05:20 PM

HDL's New Art Journal

I have always seemed to get the best advice and critique from this board when it came to artwork. I recently have been looking for people to help and give more advice but sadly I have been largely ignored on other sites. So I'm going to give here a try though I have been mostly inactive. Please critique anything and everything. Here are my newest three pieces. I just got into colored pencils and still am working out on colors as I didn't do much with pastels.

Charcoal 11x14 on Sketch Paper
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psaf753089.jpg

Color Pencil 5 x 7 on Cardstock (First attempt at colored pencils)
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps637ffcd8.jpg

Color Pencil 8 1/2 x 11 on Cardstock (Second attempt at colored pencils)
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psc588411d.jpg

Caitlinpalomino 09-04-2013 07:18 AM

Alright so I really am not one to give advice to you but I might as well write my thoughts down.
I absoloutly love your charcoal! Its amazing, the mane gives the picture so much movement and 'freeness'. I honestly love it, you should defiantly do more charcoal drawings.
As far as the coloured pencil goes I really like the horse. You have used all the different oranges and reds really well. The only thing I would say is that with coloured pencils to really make it pop there needs to be a lot of contrast between your dark and lights. The horse is a little to on the light sid I think, a little bit more blue for shadow would look really good. The dog on the other hand is a bit to blue, I obviously cant see the reference photo for these so Im just going off what I see but maybe a bit of yellow under more of the blue would have made the blue not see so overwelming?

I probably did not help at all just then but I thought I would try anyway haha. I love all of your artwork well done!

Horsesdontlie 09-04-2013 12:19 PM

No one to give advice? Psh, I was hoping that you would look and help. =3

I do a lot of charcoal now, it has definitely has become a favorite of mine. I like it a lot more than graphite.

Well for the horse colored pencil I couldn't figure out how to get the chestnut coloring and eventually put too many layers on and the colored pencils no longer had any effect. I couldn't figure out what colors to use for shadows and to give it more contrast. I had a feeling blue would look off. Maybe I'll just try it anyways next time. Do you ever have that problem?

For the dog I had an edited picture to deal with. The colors had been tinted yellow/purple. So trying to look for natural colors for highlights and shadows were hard to pick up and then my camera made the colors pop more. But the right cheek blue part was the fault of mine for choosing the wrong yellow then trying to cover it up. But there is definitely a lot of blues and even more purples. I wanted to stay away from creating a flat picture with just mostly black. I guess I went over board.

Also for your drawings that look so smooth do you do a lot of blending?

Zexious 09-04-2013 12:20 PM

Lovely drawings!!

tinyliny 09-04-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsesdontlie (Post 3546577)
No one to give advice? Psh, I was hoping that you would look and help. =3

I do a lot of charcoal now, it has definitely has become a favorite of mine. I like it a lot more than graphite.

Well for the horse colored pencil I couldn't figure out how to get the chestnut coloring and eventually put too many layers on and the colored pencils no longer had any effect. I couldn't figure out what colors to use for shadows and to give it more contrast. I had a feeling blue would look off. Maybe I'll just try it anyways next time. Do you ever have that problem?

For the dog I had an edited picture to deal with. The colors had been tinted yellow/purple. So trying to look for natural colors for highlights and shadows were hard to pick up and then my camera made the colors pop more. But the right cheek blue part was the fault of mine for choosing the wrong yellow then trying to cover it up. But there is definitely a lot of blues and even more purples. I wanted to stay away from creating a flat picture with just mostly black. I guess I went over board.

Also for your drawings that look so smooth do you do a lot of blending?

ii
I don't know much about color pencils , but you use the complimentary color for shading. from the color wheel.
so, for yellowish thing, use purple for shadow. for orangish things ,use blue. For red, use green. For blue, use orange. etc.

the chestnut is good. I like it a lot and think yoiu did well to get the coppery feeling of the horse. The dog is too busy, too much black. black will dull out a color painting/drawing. use gray or the complimentary color, as explained above. the eye on the dog is GREAT!
also, the nose should be in crisper focus to help it feel closer to the viewer. Pay attention to the values. I bet the nose is really a lot darker.
look at the photo , and if it is a color photo, use your imagination to turn it into a black and white photo. Then, seperate the values into Darkest, Dark, medium, medium light , light and bright white (the white of the paper will be how you deal with these brights. leaving it white).

the darker you make the "darkest" , teh more vibrant.

Horsesdontlie 09-04-2013 01:59 PM

Thank you Zexious!

Tinyliny, thank you for the complimentary color description. That is understandable and will help a lot. A lot of my hardship is just coming from understanding colors in general...blending over, laying and what not. I just always have worked in black and white.

When you say busy do you mean the general lack on contrast? I did use a lot of black, I don't have a dark grey right now, so black is all I have. It was the only way I could think of to dull out the colors. The dog is black with brindle coloring. I can't post the photo here but I have a link to the photo that the owner gave me : Click Here for Photo

tinyliny 09-04-2013 10:49 PM

Don't worry too much about any one drawing. The dog has some great points, like the eyes. maybe if you darken the nose, it will pop out more. it's a very challenging subject, I am sure (brindle). Sounds like so much work.

just keep going. put it aside, or deliver to owner, and go on to a new one.

Horsesdontlie 09-06-2013 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tinyliny, okay I'll just keep drawing. But figuring out how to do that roaning type with the light and dark fur was driving me crazy. I think brindles are far crazy hard.

But here is the next piece, another charcoal. I wasn't able to get a good picture of it today though.

tinyliny 09-07-2013 10:07 PM

nice use of values. check the porportions of the eye. the horse eye is not as almond shaped as is the human eye.
I know the horse is diminshing due to perspective, but is the body/hip as small as that, in comparison? could be.

Horsesdontlie 09-08-2013 02:11 AM

It was a hard one. The picture was from a 45 degree angle of the horse. It was a good break from my normal perpendicular drawing. I did a lot of work comparing the head to the body to try and get it correct as possible, but it still looks a little off.

The eye was just part of my struggles with small details. I probably redid it three times fore just moving on.