The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   Lost trash can - what to do? (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/lost-trash-can-what-do-27010/)

TaMMa89 04-30-2009 10:53 AM

Lost trash can - what to do?

So I just noticed there's no trash can icon on my laptop's desktop anymore. I guess I've removed it accidentally.

So what's now? Can I bring it back to my desktop and where the files that I remove go now? I have Windows Vista.

Heybird 04-30-2009 10:57 AM

1. Click on Vista's blue Start button and then click on "Help and Support".
2. Type RECYCLE BIN in the Search box, press the Enter key.
3. Click on "Show or hide the Recycle Bin".
4. Follow the self-help instructions.

I have a MAC but this is what I found in a vista help forum

TaMMa89 04-30-2009 11:42 AM

Ok that helped a lot. Thanks!

Jehanzeb 05-01-2009 04:33 AM

Did it work?

Here is an example with graphical interfact :D

To me this seems like a step backwards for Vista. On Windows XP, there is no "Delete" item when you right click on your desktop Recycle Bin. On Vista there is.
Not only is that potentially confusing, but even when you do understand the difference, you know what's going to happen.
Right click on your desktop Recycle Bin in Windows Vista and you'll get this popup:
I've highlighted the menu items of interest here: Empty Recycle Bin, which permanently deletes the contents of the Recycle Bin, and Delete, the standard context menu item that deletes the Recycle Bin icon itself.
And it works. Click on Delete and you get this message:
"...I frequently mutter to myself 'yeah, yeah, whatever' and press enter or click Yes without paying attention."
The problem of course is that we're so used to these popup confirmations that we often fail to notice or read them. I know I frequently mutter to myself "yeah, yeah, whatever" and press enter or click Yes without paying attention.
Whoops. The Recycle Bin disappeared.
But as you can see, the message gives the clue we need.
So, we dutifully fire up Control Panel and click on the Personalization options:
With all the options on the right in the big white emphasized area, it's very easy to miss "Change desktop icons" near the top left:
Click on that and you'll get this handy little dialog:
Click the Recycle Bin checkbox as I've highlighted above, click OK, and your Recycle Bin should reappear on the desktop.
At least that part is easier than Windows XP.

Source:I accidentally deleted my Recycle Bin in Vista - how do I get it back? - Ask Leo!

Regards

TaMMa89 05-01-2009 07:54 PM

Thanks Jehanzeb, it helped :D.

And that's annoying, I've almost deleted my recycle bin for several times when I've tried to empty it.

Jehanzeb 05-02-2009 07:37 AM

Yeah that's another annoying feature from Vista. I am glad it has been sorted

Regards