The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   foal! color question? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/foal-color-question-27015/)

Starryeyed 04-30-2009 03:36 PM

foal! color question?

7 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine just had this adorable paint foal. We are trying to figure out the color, grulla maybe? She has a dorsal stripe and looks grulla to me, she also has a dark spot on her inner right front leg. Also is she only able to be registered breeding stock? She doesnt have much white except on her face and white socks. Dad is dark bay and mom is sorrel and white. So my main 2 questions are will she stay grulla if thats what she is and is she breeding stock only? Thanks, oh and isnt she cute!

xkatex 04-30-2009 04:53 PM

Yes I'm pretty sure she is Grulla. As for breeding stock, i'm not familiar with paints so you'll have to wait for someone else to help you with that. Oh and by the way, she has to be the most stinkin' cute foal I have seen ever!

riccil0ve 04-30-2009 05:11 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about her color now [although I would agree the grulla fits] because she might not always be that color, it may change as she grows. But if you're trying to get her registered as of now, I'm pretty sure she would be breeding stock, but don't quote me on that, I'm not positive. My paint if very much a paint, lol.

weefoal 04-30-2009 06:28 PM

I suspect its a black foal. Black horses are born a mousey color until they get a little age. It would help to know what color the sire is. Grulla is a dun color so one of the parents would have to be dun in order to produce a dun foal. Dorsal stripes on foals are often just counter shading that disappears as they age.

Now if the sire is Dun then I would definitely change my mind

For sure your horse is pinto (probably tobi plus splash) But PTHA will probably register the foal breeding stock which is really sad.

I want to kiss him hes so cute!!!

Kay

mybabysewanka 04-30-2009 06:53 PM

The baby if registered through APHA will be registered breeding stock paint as it has minimal white on the body to be reigistered in Regular registry the foal has to have at least a proven by picture white marking else where on the body other then the legs. Now if the socks were above the knees which it doesn't appear to be that way or hocks then it would be able to be registered regular registry. As far as color goes I would say the foal will probably shed out black by looking around his eyes and muzzle :)

Starryeyed 04-30-2009 07:38 PM

Thank you for the info everyone, she appreciates it! The dad is bay, but has a lot of dun in his backround, which is why she thought grulla. I was guessing that the baby will turn out bay or black, black would be super cute! I just love her blaze, its so odd shaped. Any ideas on what the black spot on her leg is? Is that just part of her becoming black? Thanks

FGRanch 04-30-2009 07:49 PM

I would say that the foal is black and it is a breeding stock, it sure is cute! I want to hug that baby!

weefoal 04-30-2009 08:04 PM

I think that black spot is a rub spot that is showing the true color under the foal fuzz. Foals always have what I call foal fuzz on the legs making them appear lighter then they really will be later.

Just remind your friend that Dun cannot skip a generation and then reappear. Just like Cream one parent has to have the gene in order to have a foal with it. :D

LeahKathleen 04-30-2009 09:13 PM

I think she can only be registered breeding stock, as the white does not pass her knees/hocks, and she has no other white on her.

I also think she will turn black. The stripe is likely counter shading, like weefoal said.

She sure is cute! :]

Cat 04-30-2009 09:26 PM

What color are the parents? You can only have a grulla foal if one of the parents is a type of dun. Like others have said - that "dorsal" stripe looks like counter shading which is very common on foals.

And yes, the foal looks like a solid-bred paint to me.