The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   outside aids vrs inside aids (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/outside-aids-vrs-inside-aids-27025/)

kerplop 04-30-2009 05:27 PM

outside aids vrs inside aids

I didn't even know about outside aids until I had a lesson on a Prix St George horse a few months ago, and now I'm training my green OTTB using outside aids, and it completely baffles me why more horses aren't trained that way. Obviously top level horses (jumping/dressage) are trained with outside aids, (you can see it and... they absolutely need it for balance) but I have a funny feeling that a majority of the 4' hunters are trained with inside aids... and why aren't outside aids stressed at all in the hunter world? Or maybe they are and I just haven't noticed...? Also, I understand why beginner lesson ponies/riders would be utterly confused by outside aids to start out with, but shouldn't there be a transitioning point for riders when they get to a certain level?

I'm guessing that if you were to make a list of the pros and cons for outside aids and inside aids that outside aids would have a lot more pros, so why does the english world use predominantly inside?

Sorry, there were lots of questions in those two paragraphs. I just never really thought about this topic.

riccil0ve 04-30-2009 06:14 PM

One of the best instructors I've ever had used to say that your inside rein is more for looks. She would describe using your outside aids to close the "door" so they have to move away. While I wouldn't go so far as to say you don't use your inside rein for anything, I still strongly believe in what she taught me. Your outside aids are what bends your horse, collects it, extends, inside leg is gas, and the inside rein is mostly to soften. I agree that it should be more widely taught, but so many people just don't get it.

MyBoyPuck 04-30-2009 07:11 PM

I've taken lessons with a lot of different instructors over the years. I can't say I've ever had one that had me using inside aids. I don't really think the two can be separated. Both inside and outside aids play a part into all movements. Every turn, flexion, bend and gait involve a bit of both reins, legs and seat. It's just a matter of using them in the proper porportions. I would think that once a rider gets past the initial beginner stage of being able to W/T/C in good balance, it's time to move on to the proper use of all combined aids.

Ahsisi 05-01-2009 07:13 PM

I think that it is taught more than you realize. Sometimes it also has to do with what zone you are in and how they teach different things depending on where you are located. I believe that to have your horse "right" it takes a fine balance of both inside & outside aids, sometimes one more than the other but always together. I agree that after a beginner knows how to w/t/c, that they should start learning how to bend properly (etc.) and move on to more "riding" and less of being a "passenger".

ChingazMyBoy 05-03-2009 07:12 AM

I've always learnt inside aids and outside aids. I also find it easier to use my outside aids. Although that could be from habbit....

Spyder 05-03-2009 07:51 AM

Well kerplop you should ask iluvjunior about aids needed for jumper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvjunior (Post 300189)
And honestly i don't think i will ever liek dressage or understand it! and i can be a perfectly good rider without it!

Sometimes the outside aids are taught but you didn't realize it. The proper term for them is the indirect rein. It is used even in western training to some degree.

MyBoyPuck is correct as you cannot seperate the inside aid from the outside as they support each other......at least initially. I am not going to go into ever time the inside is needed in conjunction with the outside but it is required. However a horse developed correctly and on the aids can go with the inside rein completely dropped as proof of its degree of collection.....in fact if it is well trained both reins can be dropped for a short time. That horse would be balanced entirely by the seat and legs of its rider.

riccil0ve's teacher sounds like me. I tell all my students to ride like they are travelling down a corridor and they need to ensure all the doors are closed except the end one. A door left partially open is an invitation for the horse to escape.