The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Farrier Rant (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/farrier-rant-27040/)

Spastic_Dove 05-01-2009 01:25 AM

Farrier Rant

First off, my question to you is how much does it normally cost you to get shoes pulled?

I left a check for my BO like I always do for the farrier. I leave the check, someone grabs my horse and holds him for the farrier then gives him the check. I did the same thing for the chiro. On the check and on the signup board, I put "Diesel- TRIM". He never wears shoes.

They put a full set of shoes on him. $30 turned into $80 and on top of the $75 for my farrier, my money is way off now.

I told my BO about how I had TRIM written very clearly and she said "I saw that. Weird" and then said she would waive the show fees for this weekend which amounts to like $35.

I was talking to LeahKathleen about it, and she thinks there may have been a mishap.

Im debating asking her to take off some more off my board this month, but wondering if that is pushing it.

How bad is this going to mess up how he had been trimmed before from being barefoot?

How much is it to pull shoes (in your area, Im in MT)?

Also, the shoes come out further than the toe if that makes sense. If you look directly down on the hoof, the shoe is sticking out further. Im a barefoot person so Im not positive if this is a big deal?

He's not sore or lame or else I would be out at the barn yelling so no worries there.

LeahKathleen 05-01-2009 01:32 AM

I've already given my two cents. Just wanted to say, sorry. :[

Spastic_Dove 05-01-2009 01:33 AM

*Grumbles*

I'm sorry you had to be the first to encounter my rage. :P

LeahKathleen 05-01-2009 01:35 AM

Ha ha, please don't apologize. I have ranted to you about SO many things, both horse and non-horse. Lol.

kitten_Val 05-01-2009 08:43 AM

It's just one of the biggest BS I've heard. Unbelievable! (excuse my French).

I don't know what to suggest in this situation. If you plan on keeping horse in barn then I'm not sure you really want to conflict with the BO. However, I'd ask her WHO tell the farrier to put shoes and would ask her to negotiate with farrier to pull shoes off for free (for you). One shoeing not gonna hurt your horse (if done correctly which I assume is the case).

rider4life422 05-01-2009 09:42 AM

If it was there screw up they should fix it for free. If it's the same farrier why did he put shoes on him? I let a girl at my old barn take my horse to a weekend show in another city and he came back with four shoes, but I never had to pay for that shoeing because it was their mistake.

iridehorses 05-01-2009 09:42 AM

First of all I would be furious. I certainly would not pay for the shoeing and would demand that the shoes be pulled and my horse trimmed correctly.

Horses are trimmed differently for shoes as opposed to barefoot. Concerning how the shoe is fitting, your horse's toe should be flush with the shoe, not have a ledge. Most likely the reason for this is the difference in the way the trim was done.

lovemyponies 05-01-2009 10:01 AM

wow that is too bad. I would ask that it be corrected for free by the farrier. I always try to be there for my farrier, but he knows all our horses so well no way he would put shoes on without discussing it with the owner first

mls 05-01-2009 11:46 AM

It's the fault of the farrier and holder. I do not think you should pay for the shoes. Is there a reason you would want to deduct from your board?

We also have a sign up list - the holder (typically staff - or preapproved individual) and the farrier both see the list.

Our farrier pulls shoes and trims - only charge is the trim.

Spastic_Dove 05-01-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 299438)
. Is there a reason you would want to deduct from your board?

We also have a sign up list - the holder (typically staff - or preapproved individual) and the farrier both see the list.

The reason I was thinking to deduct from the board is I have a horse show tomorrow morning, and then am moving about an hour away. I should be bringing my horse over within the next few weeks. I was thinking maybe this would be the easier way to do it?

We also have a big board that everyone (usually) looks at for the horses. I always put "trim" next to Diesel like I said, this is the first time I have had any trouble.

It's good to see I'm not blowing things out of proportion. My farrier comes in from about an hour/45 minutes away to trim all the horses at the barn. I think I will call him and talk to him and see what he says happened.

I try to avoid conflict, but it's difficult when money is scarce! :shock:

To Rider and Ilovemyponies, I'm not sure why he put shoes on him since it is the same farrier. I've never had a problem before and I'm usually not down there when the farrier is there (Im in school usually)