The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Adults who ride ponies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/adults-who-ride-ponies-270513/)

Mama26kids 09-04-2013 01:12 PM

Adults who ride ponies

Hi

I'm wondering what brand and size of saddle other adults are putting on their ponies to ride.

my pony is 13.2 hands with a short back. I'm 5'3 inches. I'm a little worried a 16.5 inch saddle will be too small for me.

anyone use a saddle larger than 16.5 inches on a pony?

oh, I'm looking at english saddles.

thanks!

Clava 09-04-2013 01:17 PM

It depends upon the pony's conformation, my 14hh haffy can take a 17.5" saddle but her daughter who is only three can only take a 16.5". Fortunately I'm only 5'3 so can fit many smaller saddles.

katbalu 09-04-2013 01:33 PM

I have a 13.2ish quarter horse. I have a 15" and a 14" western saddle. Neither brand well known, and I have to use a round skirt because he's short backed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Viranh 09-04-2013 01:40 PM

Both my horses are basically ponies. They stand within an inch of one another in height, both in the 14.1-14.2hh range. However, they're built pretty different. My QH is fairly broad and has a long back, so she can easily wear my 17" Toulouse jumping saddle. My Welsh/Arab mare is relatively narrow and a little shorter in the back, and I have to ride in a 16" Stubben youth dressage saddle on her. The length of the Toulouse is ok on her, but the flap seems to interfere with her shoulder. It also has to have a rear riser since she's much more uphill.

Depending on your pony's build, you might get away with 16.5-17", but 13.2hh is 3 inches smaller than the mare I need a youth saddle for. Youth saddles may be your best bet. Stubben makes some nice ones, and they wear well. Mine is at least 30 years old. It's a bit small for me in the seat, but I do appreciate the short flap since I'm only 5'2".

I guess part of my point is that it is not only back length at issue. Everything on a 13.2hh pony is smaller, so you need less flap, too. Do you have a saddle fitter in your area to help decide how big you can go?

Mama26kids 09-04-2013 02:10 PM

thanks for the replies. =)

I don't have a saddle fitter in the area. I'll check out stubben saddles. not sure how pricey they are, I have about a 500 dollar budget.

I was looking at the winter 500 pony saddle. it has shorter flaps but the seat is only 15.3/4 inches. I'm 5.3 and about 125 lbs. would I be squished in a saddle that size.

I currently ride him in a 13 inch youth western saddle and it's a tad too small for me.

Clava 09-04-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama26kids (Post 3547529)
thanks for the replies. =)

I don't have a saddle fitter in the area. I'll check out stubben saddles. not sure how pricey they are, I have about a 500 dollar budget.

I was looking at the winter 500 pony saddle. it has shorter flaps but the seat is only 15.3/4 inches. I'm 5.3 and about 125 lbs. would I be squished in a saddle that size.

I currently ride him in a 13 inch youth western saddle and it's a tad too small for me.

Do you mean a Wintec 500? If so the 15 3/4 or 16" I think would be fine for someone your size, when I weighed a little more than you do I fitted into a 15" (just). Wintecs tend to "come up" large.

Viranh 09-04-2013 04:08 PM

I'm 5'2" and 135 lbs, and I get away with the 16" dressage saddle. It feels a little small, but is overall a better fit for my horse. I think it being a dressage saddle helps since my leg is straighter and I'm trying not to move very much in the saddle. It's hardly noticeable in terms of comfort if you're doing dressage. I do trail ride in it plenty, and it is not as uncomfortable as you'd expect. You get used to it. The older Stubbens like mine should be in your price range, but check them over to make sure flocking and billets are good. I'd recommend trying to get a trial so that you can ride a couple times and make sure it's an ok fit for both of you. I know my Stubben is miserable for me if it's even slightly too narrow for the horse it's on (the pommel is tall, and raises more, making the seat smaller). What are you wanting to do? Dressage, trails, jumping, etc?

Mama26kids 09-04-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clava (Post 3548081)
Do you mean a Wintec 500? If so the 15 3/4 or 16" I think would be fine for someone your size, when I weighed a little more than you do I fitted into a 15" (just). Wintecs tend to "come up" large.

yes, wintec 500. oops.

Mama26kids 09-04-2013 05:43 PM

. What are you wanting to do? Dressage, trails, jumping, etc?[/QUOTE]

mostly arena stuff. My pony is too afraid for trails. Maybe someday. I was looking at AP saddles because I was worried that the dressage saddle flaps would be too long for my pony but I'll definitely look into them.

Fulford15 09-04-2013 05:51 PM

The pony I exercise is 14 HH, I use a Santa Cruz 16.5" with medium/wide tree. I am 5'4 and 110 lbs. He is also a Welsh/Arab so he is thick, the saddle fits him and myself very well. The picture has his old saddle in it which was a bit to tight on him being a medium tree and 15".

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...41848906_n.jpg