The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   How do you "Parking" your cart (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/how-do-you-parking-your-cart-270569/)

SlideStop 09-04-2013 04:08 PM

How do you "Parking" your cart
 
Since JJ had his first trip to 711 and did very well I want to start taking him more often. Last time I had the BM come with me since it was a slow day but next time I'm not sure I'll have another person to come with me so I'll have to tie him... if thats "legal" in the driving world. He ties solidly, I've never seen him sit back on the rope or try to break loose and I've left him tied in the barn with the cart ready to go. No tying problems ever.

Another thought I had was to use the halter under the bridle as the "first line of defense" and maybe get him a neck collar God forbid he managed to get loose off the first line. There is a lot of traffic where I live and I don't know what I would do if he some how managed to get himself loose! :shock:

churumbeque 09-04-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3547945)
Since JJ had his first trip to 711 and did very well I want to start taking him more often. Last time I had the BM come with me since it was a slow day but next time I'm not sure I'll have another person to come with me so I'll have to tie him... if thats "legal" in the driving world. He ties solidly, I've never seen him sit back on the rope or try to break loose and I've left him tied in the barn with the cart ready to go. No tying problems ever.

Another thought I had was to use the halter under the bridle as the "first line of defense" and maybe get him a neck collar God forbid he managed to get loose off the first line. There is a lot of traffic where I live and I don't know what I would do if he some how managed to get himself loose! :shock:

You should definately use a halter and a lead rope. But what would you tie him to? Ideally to something like a hitching post that he couldn't walk forward

smrobs 09-04-2013 06:12 PM

I would probably use a rope halter with a tied on lead just so he couldn't get loose even if he did set back.

Also agree that you'll need to tie to something that will keep him from walking forward...and something sturdy enough to hold if he pulls. Only thing worse than a loose horse pulling a cart would be a loose horse pulling a cart with a chunk of fencing dragging under his feet and spooking him more.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2QMsP1ob6K...cery+Store.jpg

SlideStop 09-04-2013 06:28 PM

Thank God he is only a mini donkey and not a full size horse. There is a free standing solid cement pole or a tree right in front of a fence I could use. I didn't get a good chance to scope it out, those were just things I saw from afar.

I absolutely will tie him with a halter and lead. I'm going to order a rope one, but for now I have a non-breakaway nylon one.

Sorry for the title! It originally said "parking" your cart. When I added in how to I forgot to take out the "-ing". Anyway a mod could change it (if its not asking to much of course)?
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 09-04-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3549473)
Thank God he is only a mini donkey and not a full size horse. There is a free standing solid cement pole or a tree right in front of a fence I could use. I didn't get a good chance to scope it out, those were just things I saw from afar.

I absolutely will tie him with a halter and lead. I'm going to order a rope one, but for now I have a non-breakaway nylon one.

Sorry for the title! It originally said "parking" your cart. When I added in how to I forgot to take out the "-ing". Anyway a mod could change it (if its not asking to much of course)?
Posted via Mobile Device

But what happens if he tries to walk around the pole and gets the shaft caught? These are things to think about.

SlideStop 09-04-2013 06:53 PM

Ok, so its not the best option and now that you said it I see why. That's why I'm here, to find out what and where would be the best place. You don't know what you don't know.
Posted via Mobile Device

littrella 09-04-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 3549585)
But what happens if he tries to walk around the pole and gets the shaft caught? These are things to think about.


JMO, but if you don't have someone to go with you, I wouldn't try "parking" him. Too much can happen too fast.

Also, rope halter work quite well under driving bridles. My mentor uses one, something to do with the CDE event's she does, if the groom touches the actuall bridle, they get docked points or disqualified ( cant remember at this time)

michaelvanessa 09-04-2013 07:01 PM

hitching post going to the shops.
 
1 Attachment(s)
churumbeque is right and areing on caution.
if you do go down to the store i think its best to take a groom with you to keep a watchfull eye on your horse.
a halter would be the better option.
also a bungie backed up with a lead rope just in casefrom the bit over the head and back through the bit with a bit more slack than the bungie.
here is a bungie i have got for my new trailer.

Attachment 274097

but i would recomend a groom to acompaney the horse espeasherley on todays roads i think thats the safest way.
or get your horse a nose bag so his mind is on eating his food whilst you shop that could be another idear whilst he/she is tied to a hitching post.

SlideStop 09-04-2013 07:05 PM

I wouldn't consider it if I wasnt 100% sure he ties like a champ. Honestly, I'm more worried about him untieing himself (he enjoys playing with the lead line) or other people possiblely messing with him. The store is a convenience store, I'd be in and out in under 3-4 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

michaelvanessa 09-04-2013 07:15 PM

horse untieing.
 
ill make you laugh on the barn wall we have tie rings and we have a peice of nylon baleing twine as a panic device as it would snap.
ok heres what he does if you pass the lead rope through the bailing twine and do a slip knot if you pulled the long end it would untie the knot so we pass the long part through the loop.
he wisend up and pulled the rope through the loop and untied him self so i doubled it up through the loop.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0