The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ear Mites? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ear-mites-270633/)

shaggy 09-04-2013 04:09 PM

Ear Mites?
 
I think my horses may have ear mites. I honestly have no idea what ear mites look like or if they are even visible lol I do know both my horses have all these little pin prick type spots in their ears that bleed. If it is ear mites what would be the best way to treat it? and if it doesnt sound like ear mites what do you think it might be?

shaggy 09-05-2013 11:20 PM

Bump bump

Oxer 09-06-2013 01:17 AM

I know dogs and cats get ear mites all the time. I wouldn't see why horses couldn't get them too. I'm a curious person... so if it were me, I'd grab a cotton ball with some alcohol on it and swish it around in his ear to see what i come up with. Otherwise, just call the vet. :)

shaggy 09-06-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 3562817)
I know dogs and cats get ear mites all the time. I wouldn't see why horses couldn't get them too. I'm a curious person... so if it were me, I'd grab a cotton ball with some alcohol on it and swish it around in his ear to see what i come up with. Otherwise, just call the vet. :)

Good Idea! Since shaggy is getting a bath tomorrow i'll try that! Thanks =)

paintthesky 09-06-2013 01:30 AM

I don't think your horse has mites. I've been told that horses don't get mites, but I'm not so sure. My gelding would get these little flies in his ear, and then he'd rub his ears until they bleed. What I would do, is take a sponge or cloth and gently rub the parts that are sore. You can prevent the flies from feeding on his ears by having a fly mask with ears, which usually solves the problem or by applying fly spray with a sock around the outside of his ear. Usually the little flies stay away then. If that doesn't work, you can always dab a little invermectin on the surface of his ear as well. Just be very gentle because horses are really sensitive in their ears!
Posted via Mobile Device

shaggy 09-07-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintthesky (Post 3562889)
I don't think your horse has mites. I've been told that horses don't get mites, but I'm not so sure. My gelding would get these little flies in his ear, and then he'd rub his ears until they bleed. What I would do, is take a sponge or cloth and gently rub the parts that are sore. You can prevent the flies from feeding on his ears by having a fly mask with ears, which usually solves the problem or by applying fly spray with a sock around the outside of his ear. Usually the little flies stay away then. If that doesn't work, you can always dab a little invermectin on the surface of his ear as well. Just be very gentle because horses are really sensitive in their ears!
Posted via Mobile Device

I did some googling last night. Some sites say they can get ear mites some sites they can't so i dont know anymore. and as for the fly masks they've had them and they just lose them. 50 bucks down the drain. but i will try the fly spray on the sock that sounds like a good idea!

Chevaux 09-07-2013 12:25 PM

My first suspicion would be tiny fly bites causing the bleeding. If you wipe the areas with mineral oil it will help soothe the sore spots and make it less desirable to the flies; spray or wipe fly spray around the edge and tops of the ears to further discourage the flies. After the wounds heal, you can wipe fly spray on the inside of the ears as well.

If horses were to get ear mites (if that's possible??), I suspect the mites would head deep down into the ear canal and you wouldn't see anything really visible other than a lot of head shaking and rubbing on the part of the horse.

shaggy 09-07-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 3572610)
My first suspicion would be tiny fly bites causing the bleeding. If you wipe the areas with mineral oil it will help soothe the sore spots and make it less desirable to the flies; spray or wipe fly spray around the edge and tops of the ears to further discourage the flies. After the wounds heal, you can wipe fly spray on the inside of the ears as well.

If horses were to get ear mites (if that's possible??), I suspect the mites would head deep down into the ear canal and you wouldn't see anything really visible other than a lot of head shaking and rubbing on the part of the horse.

ok cool I'll try the mineral oil! and thats kinda what I was thinking too. He doesnt shake his head at all like something bothering just at flies.

LynR99 10-31-2013 01:22 PM

Learning something new every day
 
I didn't know that horses could get ear mites. When I really stop to think about it though I shouldn't be surprised as humans can get them too.

With my dogs I found they were a real pain to get rid of. I keep on top of the situation now by maintaining with a natural ear wash. I much prefer a natural approach to chemicals

Foxhunter 10-31-2013 02:09 PM

I have never had a horse with ear mites but usually what you describe is from fly bites.
Either way, get some Neem Oil and just wipe that on his ears. It is very antiseptic, natural, will deter any biting insects and kill mites.
The only down is that Neem stinks!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0