The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   Meet & Greet with Potential Trainer - What to Expect? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/meet-greet-potential-trainer-what-expect-270841/)

BadWolf 09-04-2013 08:50 PM

Meet & Greet with Potential Trainer - What to Expect?

The title pretty well sums up my question - What should I expect when our potential new trainer comes out to meet/observe me and my horses for the first time?

We have four horses all together - two need a bit of help staying put at the mounting block, and two have been turned out for an extended period of time and need to be refreshed. None have any serious behavioral problems, like aggression, but I just really need a set of experienced eyes to let me know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

BadWolf 09-07-2013 11:34 PM

Should this be under a different section?

Zexious 09-07-2013 11:55 PM

I'm not sure whether or not it should be under a different section...

What to expect will vary depending on why the trainer is visiting. Are you looking to take lessons for yourself, or are you looking to do some maintenance/problem solving work with your horses? Will you be moving your horses to their facility, or will they be coming to you (for future sessions, I mean).

They may ask you to work the horses, and will probably have a conversation about where you currently are, your goals, and some basics about yourself and the animals.

Cherie 09-11-2013 06:41 PM

Expect him to say anything he thinks you want to hear. Try to find out what other people think of him, especially people who he no longer trains for.

palogal 09-13-2013 09:09 PM

When I meet a client we talk about the horse, goals in training (which I already know at that point, but we review anyway), tour the facility and work out a schedule that works for everybody.

Anyone that makes guarantees or promises is full of it. There are NO guarantees in horse training, that is lip service.