The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   First Time Buying Half-Chaps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/first-time-buying-half-chaps-270849/)

BadWolf 09-04-2013 08:57 PM

First Time Buying Half-Chaps

I hope this is the right place for this question -

How do I measure myself for half chaps?
How do I choose the right size?
How should they fit?

I've searched everywhere for a pair of tall boots, but I simply can not find a pair that will fit both my big calf and tiny foot.
I've been riding in short boots, but I just like the feel of tall boots better.
Would half-chaps be the answer to that problem?

Any recommendations on good/bad brands or materials?

tinyliny 09-04-2013 09:10 PM

I LOVE half chaps. there are many different brands . I think you need to use a tape measure and go around the largest part of your calf, then measure the vertical part, I think to the ground. the size of your shoe does not amatter.

one thing I have learned. If you like to wear a spur, then try to get the half chaps that do NOT have any flap that comes down and covers the heel. it will interfere with the spur.

I like the Ariat , but prefer the Grand Prix. the zippers wear out, but I just get them mended at the local leather/shoe repair place. mine have lasted me many years .

BadWolf 09-04-2013 09:55 PM

On the vertical, measure from where to where?

tinyliny 09-04-2013 10:03 PM

I think it's from behind the knee to the ground.

go onto the website, like Dovers? or Ariat. they should have detailed info on how to correctly measure.

aeosborne2002 09-06-2013 09:57 PM

While sitting, you would measure from the ground to the back of your knee. That will give the height. Then measure around the widest part of the calf. Final step is to shop! The Dover Saddlery website, as well as sites like Tredstep and Ariat all have good instructions on how to measure.