The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Help! bad split in my girls hoof (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/help-bad-split-my-girls-hoof-271058/)

jannette 09-05-2013 01:15 AM

Help! bad split in my girls hoof

2 Attachment(s)
a little background, 3 years ago my mare got her leg cut just above the hoof, below the joint, on the back side of her back foot, real deep and just missed the tendon. we thought it healed great. no proud flesh no signs of tenderness, thought we were out of the woods. after wound healed noticed a split growing from hair line, grew that out. just got the last of it out nicely with just a little bit of a weird growth on back of hoof. just looked like slanted in a bit, my farrier didn't seem to concerned with it. our last ride she coming of a pretty steep grade she started to lift that leg and kinda shuffle going down the mountain, felt like she was trying a very lame crow hop. I had I friend that was behind me tell me what she was doing. I got off and walked her the rest of the way. once on flat ground she didn't do it anymore and I rode her out. (sorry so long) anyway she never limped or seemed to favor it at all and the next day was fine also. I went out to check her last night and found her foot looking like this :cry:.....ive called my farrier and he's coming out in the morning with a bag of tricks he says...im sooo worried, he said we'd asses the situation and make best decision from there, cant promise more until he sees it....what do you all think are my best options here???? need advice and ideas, don't want to make the wrong one....i'm just heart broke :-(

Roux 09-08-2013 09:13 PM

From the pictures I am not going to be of much help. Not the pictures fault just that it is really hard to see what is going on without being there.

Is she putting weight on the foot flat on the ground, or is she keeping the foot lifted like it is in the picture? I think it looks like you have the foot up to take a good pic. What does that back part look like when the hoof is flat? What does it look like from the other side is the injury visible from the other side also? When she has her weight on it does it hang further open or come closer or no change? Was she really tender on the hairline if you were to apply pressure there?

Is there actually a "flap" of hoof that has separated from the back of the hoof? Like the hoof wall itself has separated? I think I have seen this in books and at farrier school but I personally have not run across this in person before from what I can tell. I can try to find which book. From the picture it almost looks like there is several cracks running vertically down with a chunk that is flaking off?

Or do you think it is more like one crack? Maybe it is a sand crack that appeared very quickly and was aggravated during your ride?

Maybe this is just the natural progression of the hoof shedding off from her injury and the healing process of that.

There was no blood or indication that the soft tissue was affected? But it does look like it runs all the way into the hairline?

As far as what to do... from what you can tell the soft tissue was not exposed by this? If it was you might want to consider wrapping it to prevent infection and to keep dirt out. If not then I guess just wait and tell us what the farrier says.

I am so sorry this happened to you guys, I know it is pretty scary. I wasn't much help but please let us know what happens with your farrier.

Sorry I am just throwing out a few guesses for you.

jannette 09-13-2013 11:34 PM

She is putting weight on it and does not limp on it or seam to favor it at a glance. when I really watch I notice she moves off of it a little different. like she does not pivot off that foot she'll pick it up and move. it is just one main crack the rest is just lines in the hoof. it is not wiggly loose at all but if you directly push on it you can feel a slight give. she is tender at hair line where her scar is but not to an extreme. there is no blood or smell.

The fierier has me soaking it in Epson salt once a week and had us block access to the pond, that she's always playing in. he says we need to keep her trimmed high and tight and shoes on at all times, light riding on soft ground, short rides to keep her in shape and not spoiled. we are just watching it and growing it out. hopefully it doesn't split more that way.

thanx for your response :)

greentree 09-14-2013 08:39 AM

It looks like that peice is trying to slough off. Perhaps going downhill it was catching on the ground and becoming uncomfortable.

I hope it heals well!!

Nancy

Patty Stiller 09-14-2013 05:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I cant see a lot from the angle of the photos but from what I can see, it seems there is way too much heel on your horses foot. Excess heel grows forward and becomes under run.
That in turn causes excess pressure in the area of the hairline directly above the ends of the under run heels.

If you take a picture with the foot on hard flat surface and the camera ON the ground exactly level pointing at the side of the foot, I can nearly guarantee the ends of the heels are directly under the top of the crack. It is simple physics. And with an old scar there, it is even more critical to reduce pressure in the heels and that means trimming off ALL excess heel to reduce the pressure in the hoof wall in the heels. As well it looks like the toes of the foot may be very flared and run forward, all farrier issues.

loosie 09-15-2013 03:19 AM

Got some better pics yet OP?

princessfluffybritches 09-15-2013 12:35 PM

Looks like what Patty said. I don't know how long it's been since you had her shod, she looks way overdue, or the shoes are kinda small.

Did the farrier ever come out? Can you post some pics?

jannette 09-15-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches (Post 3638201)
Looks like what Patty said. I don't know how long it's been since you had her shod, she looks way overdue, or the shoes are kinda small.

Did the farrier ever come out? Can you post some pics?

she was shod 4wks prior to this pic. used new fierier because the one I use I had been calling for two weeks and he promised to come out and then no showed 3 times. ill get some better pic tomorrow for sure I tried tonight but when I looked at them on the computer they where bad.

maybe I need to keep shopping for fierier?

ktrolson 09-16-2013 02:16 AM

Jannette,

can you get us some better pics so we can tell you if you need a new farrier? what does the farrier mean by keep her trimmed "high and tight"? did the farrier even come out to see the foot?

when there is damage through the coronet band, the hoof can be affected permanently. the coronet band is like a human fingernail bed, where if you damage it then you will have a weird fingernail for life. the hoof may always grow weird but that's not to say it will be a big problem. since the injury happened 3 years ago i would assume this is going to be a chronic issue. you will need a farrier with some good knowledge to help keep this hoof in the best shape it can be. i had a mare that had a similar injury, the hoof was always a weird shape and she was never lame. she was always kept shod. i have a feeling that this is not being managed properly by either farrier because of what patty said...the heel is too forward and stressing the damaged area. the heels didn't get that way overnight. please post some more photos for us?

jannette 09-16-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktrolson (Post 3643802)
Jannette,

can you get us some better pics so we can tell you if you need a new farrier? what does the farrier mean by keep her trimmed "high and tight"? did the farrier even come out to see the foot?

when there is damage through the coronet band, the hoof can be affected permanently. the coronet band is like a human fingernail bed, where if you damage it then you will have a weird fingernail for life. the hoof may always grow weird but that's not to say it will be a big problem. since the injury happened 3 years ago i would assume this is going to be a chronic issue. you will need a farrier with some good knowledge to help keep this hoof in the best shape it can be. i had a mare that had a similar injury, the hoof was always a weird shape and she was never lame. she was always kept shod. i have a feeling that this is not being managed properly by either farrier because of what patty said...the heel is too forward and stressing the damaged area. the heels didn't get that way overnight. please post some more photos for us?

yes he did come out and look at her foot. he said we need to keep her "high and tight" it's just a phrase like hair in the military. he doesn't want her to get long at all he is going to check on her in 2 weeks and he said if they look like they are getting long or crack is worse to call him.