The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Good Resource for 'Lingo' (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/good-resource-lingo-271186/)

PoloxGal 09-05-2013 12:34 PM

Good Resource for 'Lingo'

I am very lucky to have married into a very knowledgeable horse family who have taught me many things about managing and carrying for horses in such a short time. However, now that I am no longer classified to them as a beginner, I find that they and others use some terminology that I am unfamiliar with, as they assume that I have more knowledge then I do about 'basics' such as bit types (and in what situations to use each in), jump types (oxer, vertical, etc), as well as other types of tack (again and in what situation you would need them). I am the type of person that easily figures out things in context but does anyone know of a good resource to learn this sort of thing? I have a few books at home and was thinking of reading the Pony Club Handbooks as well (as I know they are tested on some of this stuff in their ratings).

Speed Racer 09-05-2013 12:47 PM

Pony Club handbooks are good and probably one of your best resources. There is no one comprehensive set of books that will give you everything for which you're looking.

Saskia 09-06-2013 08:44 PM

Pony Club handbooks are often British centric - and can use different names etc. But still great!

You can also google lots of things, like bits, types of jumps etc.

smrobs 09-06-2013 08:56 PM

Also, if there's anything that you want to ask about without feeling foolish in front of family, you can ask here as well. We have a very knowledgeable (and diverse) member base here, so basically any discipline, there is someone who is very experienced who is able/willing to answer questions about tack or training methods or any other "lingo" they might spring on you.

jmike 09-10-2013 10:27 AM

i am still figure out the acronyms like TWH = Tennessee Walking Horse

but what is an OTTB?

Cherrij 09-10-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmike (Post 3596610)

but what is an OTTB?

From what I gathered - Off the Track Thoroughbred.

EquineGirl1965 09-10-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherrij (Post 3596674)
From what I gathered - Off the Track Thoroughbred.

Exactly right!

And OTTSTB is Off The Track Standardbred (STB is short for the breed name). :D

xlionesss 09-10-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmike (Post 3596610)

but what is an OTTB?

One of the best horses you will ever ride :-P

to answer your question though, it means "off the track thoroughbred".
Meaning a Thoroughbred that has been retired from racing.

autumnheart 09-10-2013 11:56 AM

I didn't know what OTTB was, either. In fact, I don't know a lot of "lingo" and I would love to learn. I suppose just exposing myself as much as I can to horse people and horses will help.

jmike 09-10-2013 12:06 PM

someone needs to make a horse acronym dictionary