The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Healthy Haircare Moisturizer vs. Wahna Win Coat Conditioner? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/healthy-haircare-moisturizer-vs-wahna-win-271298/)

Cynical25 09-05-2013 04:16 PM

Healthy Haircare Moisturizer vs. Wahna Win Coat Conditioner?

I've sworn by Healthy Haircare for decades, but I'm contemplating straying due to a big sale on Wahna Win. Anyone tried both and have a preference?

My seriously itchy horse will be covered in dandruff and rubbing himself raw if I don't apply Healthy Hair every few days. It's my understanding that Wahna Win is beneficial for a variety of skin issues, as well as serving as a conditioner.

Not sure if I'm silly for considering changing what works, or smart to see if something else works even better...

Klassic Superstar 09-05-2013 04:22 PM

I would try head and shoulders, really scrub into it and let it sit for a good 5-10 minutes.

My trainers Friesian has skin issues, she has so many products!!
You are sure it's not fungal?
I'll look when I got to my barn and see what she uses, but on the big itchy open spots we use swat, helps get the bugs off too!!
Could he have a skin condition?
You might want to try a feed through supplement, smartpak is great! You can call and talk to the for free and they will help point you in the right direction!

Best of luck!

Cynical25 09-05-2013 05:04 PM

The dandruff & itchies are currently under control with a topical conditioner, so that's what I'm focusing on at the moment.

No fungus, just super sensitive skin. I will not try anything "medicated" like Head & Shoulders unless my vet were to suggest it, as some shampoos, fly sprays, and even some common first aid products will cause enough skin welting and obvious discomfort that a shot of Dex is necessary. He is on feed through fly control and a rotation of the least irritating fly repellants, since bug bites cause massive welts and blisters, too. Good thing he's cute ;)

Haley 09-06-2013 01:35 AM

For a coat conditioner my favorite thing is Premier Rose Oil (with whana win in a close second), but for skin issues the best thing I've used is Eqyss Microtek Spray.

showjumperachel 09-06-2013 01:46 AM

Just out of curiosity, what topical conditioner do you use? My TB gelding has insane itchies, and what I was doing was working for a while, but it seems to be doing AS good of a job ATM.

Cynical25 09-06-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showjumperachel (Post 3563001)
Just out of curiosity, what topical conditioner do you use? My TB gelding has insane itchies, and what I was doing was working for a while, but it seems to be doing AS good of a job ATM.

Healthy Haircare Moisturizer has been my favorite since the 90's. I've used it on backyard horses and high level show horses, and always have shiny coats and nice tails. No drying alcohol or silicones, just mosturizers. I probably sound like a commercial, but it's the only horsey product I've used throughout my entire horsey lifetime. :lol: I've just never known a horse as itchy as my current one, and that is the only reason I'm considering something different, like Wahna Win.

its lbs not miles 09-06-2013 03:34 PM

I use coconut oil for the hair and Tea tree oil if there's a skin issue. Never wash with any soap or "cleaning" product. Just rinse and sponge using only water. Let dry and apply coconut oil which the hair apparently absorbs since it never needs to be removed.

its lbs not miles 09-06-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klassic Superstar (Post 3559010)
I would try head and shoulders, really scrub into it and let it sit for a good 5-10 minutes.

My trainers Friesian has skin issues, she has so many products!!
You are sure it's not fungal?
I'll look when I got to my barn and see what she uses, but on the big itchy open spots we use swat, helps get the bugs off too!!
Could he have a skin condition?
You might want to try a feed through supplement, smartpak is great! You can call and talk to the for free and they will help point you in the right direction!

Best of luck!

Your trainer can save a LOT of money by using Tea Tree Oil vs a medicine cabinet of other things (many of the equine treatments have tea tree in them anyway :lol:). It's taken care of 100% of every skin issue I've encountered as well as foot issues. I've treated everything from severe case of thrush to scratches to road rash to bug bits to anything else that comes up on my or any friends horses. I keep a bottle handy all the time. I'd use it for the hair instead of coconut oil, but it costs more :lol:

lchad 09-15-2013 04:49 PM

I'm sorry I can't help you but I do have a question. This product looks interesting. It says it's good in keeping manes tangle free. Do you use it and rinse for detangler or can you leave it in? I have a mare with a long thick mane which is hard to keep untangled.