The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Oh boy...did I screw up??[kinda long] (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/oh-boy-did-i-screw-up-27133/)

draftlover215 05-02-2009 06:33 PM

Oh boy...did I screw up??[kinda long]

Here's the story, I'm in the process of selling my three year old project horse, I bought him as a 2 year old with a friend of mine and have been training him. Well, I don't know what I did, if I went wrong some where in his training maybe or what, I mean I've trained babies & greenies before so don't know where I may have gone wrong. *sigh* Let me explain.

Some one decided to try him out the other day (I was NOT present for this, but my partner was) and apparently Shortie bucked this guy off. The story I heard was he asked Shortie to canter, Shortie tossed his head and refused to break gait so the guy smacked him with the end of his reins behind the girth and apparently Shortie started bucking and didn't stop until this guy was off him. I got on Shortie the next day (I was out of town) and he was perfect with me - did all his transitions no problems, head low, not even the HINT of an issue. Now, he has NEVER EVER offered to buck with me. He's never even seemed to think about it! He has his days where he's a little lazy and even I've popped him with the end of the reins and all he did was toss his head a bit at that but he transitioned.

Then what I thought was a fluke incident happened again. Some one else came to try him, and he tried to buck with them too. They were a more experienced rider and was able to immediatly correct him though.

Both these people used the tack I use every single day with him, so there were no issues where maybe it was tack fit. I even rode him before hand with the second person to demonstrate how well behaved he is! So much for that!

Could I be the reason he's like this now? I hate to think I made him into a one person horse. I never meant for it to happen. :( Any advice????

ChingazMyBoy 05-03-2009 02:49 AM

Where you the only one to ride him when you trained him?

draftlover215 05-03-2009 08:47 AM

No, I've ridden him, my partner rode him twice (he's an older gentlemen who doesn't ride much any more), I had a friend ride him for me a number of times and usually he would ignore everything they said and watch me for cues from the ground on what to do. He was also racebroke when we first got, my partner has brought him to a local track a few times to go work him and I never exercise rode him there because I had client's horses to ride so one of the other boys would ride him and he never tried to buck them off. He would dance around with them on him and shake his head and act silly (nothing bad persay just silly, "I'm a baby" type behavior). But he was never violent (violent is a bad word but it's all I can think of to describe the differences in behavior).

Spyder 05-03-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftlover215 (Post 300491)
I had client's horses to ride so one of the other boys would ride him and he never tried to buck them off. He would dance around with them on him and shake his head and act silly (nothing bad persay just silly, "I'm a baby" type behavior). But he was never violent (violent is a bad word but it's all I can think of to describe the differences in behavior).

Tells me he is testing them. You, he knows so he behaves. He is only 3 and I think you are expectiong too much from his ability to just allow a stranger to mount without him thinking "geeeze maybe I just don't want to....lets see what I can get away with".

The other rider hitting him was unwarranted and a rather stupid thing to do on a strange horse....especially on a young 3 year old. I go very slow on horses I don't know, and I am an experienced rider.

Personally the rider deserved to be bucked off. For future references I would ride the horse first, put him on a lunge with the potential buyer to see how they matched up then let them go by themselves. May save youeself a lawsuit.

draftlover215 05-03-2009 09:30 AM

I'm not expecting too much out of him, trust me, in fact I expect him to test someone new it's why I've only shown him to experienced riders. I just don't understand why he's started bucking with new riders all of a sudden.

I agree, that guy did deserve to be bucked off. I wasn't there for any of it unfortunatly but I have a feeling I know exactly what kind of rider he is. He's the A-typical one for the area I live in - some guy who THINKS he knows how to ride so he gets on the horse and "cowboys" him. You can't cowboy this horse. He doesn't like it. I ride him with soft hands and light aids. I have a feeling he got on him and just started kicking and banging around on his back.

Hmmm, and it just occured to me, I wonder if this guy put a bad taste in his mouth about new riders now.

Alicia 05-03-2009 11:42 AM

You're probably right about the guy, getting on and thinking he is all that and your horse was probably uncomfortable and nervous. I also agree with spyder he maybe testing all these new riders, after all your horse is only 3. I also agree that you rideing first and lunging him first might help. Good luck, and it doesn't sound like you have made him into a one person horse.

rottenweiler 05-03-2009 12:02 PM

Well, I may be a bit optimistic here but I'll say it anyway....maybe none of those people were the 'right' person for him. I say this because my first horse I bought from a woman who got her at the auction as a 'project horse' with a neighbor. The neighbor never helped so she just wanted to get rid of the horse. She had a couple people come out and try her and one she bucked off and the other she tried to buck off. She offered the horse to me and told me of her history of bucking people off. So I put her in the round pen all tacked up and worked her a bit 'free lunge', she seemed fine. so I hopped on her back in the round pen and, again, she did fine. So I bought her. I rode her in the round pen, in the riding arena, and around the pasture and she never once offered to buck. Then I had to move her to a new barn and shortly realized I couldn't afford her anymore. I ended up giving her to the woman who owned the barn, she was a very nice woman and had several of her own horses. I gave her to the woman with the understanding that if she found the right person for her, she would give her to them. She told me one day she got on her to see if she would work for HER, and she tried to buck her off. then, she met this family who had a couple young kids and they wanted a horse for their kids. They came to look at her and the girls hopped on her bareback and rode her around the pasture with no problem. So that was her new home.
I agree with what the above person said, have the prospective buyer work with the horse in the round pen or on a lunge line to see how they do together first. See how well they interact with each other, I'm sure the horse will pick the right person!

iridehorses 05-07-2009 12:24 PM

Horses have likes and dislikes, personalities, just like people. Most horses are very tolerant while some are very sensitive and a very few are extremely so.

Last year I sold a 6 year old mare I had to a friend who begged me to sell her to him. Before me, the mare was owned by a young fellow who had her for ~4 years and got her from his grandfather. The mare, I latter learned, had a reputation for being a bronc at times with his owner. I had her for about 6 or 7 months and was the sweetest horse I had had in a long while. She never even thought about giving a buck. When my friend got her, she turned into a handful again. He eventually worked it out of her for the most part but there is always going to be some doubt in his mind about her.

You may just have to find the right owner for him - or keep him!

Audra0729 05-07-2009 12:58 PM

I personally think that us humans to listen to the horse. THEY will tell us when they have found the right owner, too many people are money hungry and just sell when someone wants the horse.
the only time its difficult to be sure is when the horse is young and you yourself don't know him or her very well.

good luck with the sale, be sure to make sure he goes to the right person.

twogeldings 05-07-2009 01:03 PM

With some horses there can really only be 'one owner' or a particular owner. x)

That guy did deserve to get bucked off. You just CAN'T 'cowboy' a horse. I learned that the hard way. I got back into the saddle after being forever out of it to test Sam, see what he responds best to. He does best with light, calm, multiple point cues (legs, seat, hands, voice combinations) rather than 'cowboy' or hard cookie cues.
Your three year old seems to be the same way. You can't cowboy him, but can't baby him either.