The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Allergic to flies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/allergic-flies-27141/)

webdawg 05-03-2009 01:00 AM

Allergic to flies

My Appy (Paco) is allergic to black flies.

My vet has prescribed several things, but none seem to work and Paco hates fly spray even if it's wiped on.

Paco wears a mask, but the problem area is his neck. He gets bumps all over his neck this time of year.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rider4life422 05-03-2009 01:06 AM

Willards water works great. Dillute it in a spray bottle with water. My horse used to itch and break out in hives and it helped him so much.

webdawg 05-03-2009 01:08 AM

Thanks Rider, I'll give it a try.

Vidaloco 05-03-2009 07:05 PM

Several things I have read but not tried
Apple cider vinegar in the drinking water
Several herbal fly sprays, Flicks comes to mind which I have used and it works fairly well.
A fly sheet and mask. I just saw this one and was thinking of trying it out myself. I have one filly who is allergic to something (plant related) out in our pasture.

Vidaloco 05-03-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rider4life422 (Post 300374)
Willards water works great. Dillute it in a spray bottle with water. My horse used to itch and break out in hives and it helped him so much.

What is willards water? I googled it and only found stuff for humans. Do you have a link?

mayfieldk 05-03-2009 07:35 PM

Yeah, what is it? My horse breaks into hives too!

I put him in the amigo bug buster; that fly sheet with the bug repellent in it already. It's expensive, but it works: as long as it's on, he won't break out like a kid who stepped into a bee hive. LOL.

webdawg 05-03-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 300712)
What is willards water? I googled it and only found stuff for humans. Do you have a link?

I just bought a bottle from The Real Willard Water from Nutrition Coalition, Inc. and I told them what I needed it for. They replied like it was a common cure for fly allergies. Hope so! This is their reply.

Hi, Jim . .. .you should have your shipment by the end of this coming week.
After you get it, you could give me a call and we can discuss how to use it
for that particular problem.

Please remind me of exactly what it is we are talking about . . .the
allergies from fly bites . . I wind up talking with so many folks each day
that it is REALLY easy to forget!

Thanks for the order . .. you've been led to an awfully good . . .and
cost-effective . . .thing.

Charlie Sunde
NCI (the REAL Willard's Water people)

shmurmer4 05-03-2009 08:17 PM

Marigold Fly Spray

it is frickin amazing, I would even consider using it on myself if i smelled like a horse and was bothered by flies. :) lol

rider4life422 05-03-2009 08:46 PM

It is for humans. It's used for ALOT of different things. But you dillute it in a fly spray bottle with water and it works great. I was recommended it from a trainer and I love it. My horse had rubbed his mane off in some spots from being so itchy and within a week of using it he started to grow back and he didn't have any hives. It relatively cheap and really good, but its not a subsitute for fly spray, it just helps with the hives and itching.